Don Rickles, RIP

Legendary comic Don Rickles, a rapid-fire insulting machine who for six decades earned quite a living making fun of people of all creeds and colors and everyone from poor slobs to Frank Sinatra, has died. He was 90.

Rickles died Thursday at his home in Los Angeles of kidney failure, publicist Paul Schrifin announced.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/legendary-comic-don-rickles-dies-175908685.html

I recall seeing him with Little Richard, who kept referring to him (to Rickles' seeming frustration) as "Don Wrinkles". I wondered if that was something that they cooked up beforehand, as it wasn't Rickles' usual modus operandi to let people get the best of him.

It amazed me that people laughed along with his ridicule of them. I think the worst was when he hosted the Tonight Show, was doing interviews in the audience, and said to a woman with protruding teeth - "Are you Japanese or do you just have a lousy dentist?" And she laughed.

Pretty sure he was the only guy who could insult Frank Sinatra in public and get away with it. He could be very funny. (love the scene where Sinatra passes by his table and actually says hello--he seldom did that--and Rickles answers "Can't you see I'm eating?" Sinatra thought it was hilarious.) RIP

gregmo