Happy 91 Randy Weston

Hardbopjazz

I imagine Mark Stryker may have been there as well, but it was interesting hearing Randy Weston and Jimmy Heath talking about their careers in Detroit last year.  Heath later joined Weston on stage for 'Hi-Fly', which was the first time that the longtime friends had performed together.  Men like Weston, Heath and Roy Haynes make one rethink aging.  

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

That's a great photo!

Somewhere I have a recording of Weston and Don Moyé that is superb. Jazz Showcase, perhaps?

This is absolutely stunning:

The Jazz Showcase trio was completed by Richard Davis. I wanted to issue it but Randy was unhappy with the piano.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Ah -- yes, thanks, thought it might be Davis. Too bad the piano situation wasn't right though my "tin ears" were pretty happy with the sound. Will dig it up and listen again tonight.. Right now jamming the 2013 Smithsonian performance, which is amazing.

I should have made it clear I was there and it was one of the most amazing piano trio sets I ever experienced. 

On 4/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I should have made it clear I was there and it was one of the most amazing piano trio sets I ever experienced. 

I also was there and agree and wrote a long review of that trio for the Reader - that review is probably now lost forever. Weston was very much in his Ellington-piano mode that time and Don Moye proved to be the perfect sensitive, responsive accompanist. A rare and inspiring event.