What's the difference between a sopranino sax and a soprano sax?

Hardbopjazz

5 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

It's for those moments when you need to take squeakiness up to 11 :D

Nah, that's what Eefers, Eb clarinets, are for. :)

Aside: though almost all soprano saxes are indeed in B-flat, there are C soprano saxes, too (one octave above the C-melody (tenor) sax). They're not common, but they exist.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Hardbopjazz said:

I was listening to an Anthony Braxton CD. "Echo Echo Mirror House." Braxton is playing Sopranino sax and a soprano sax on the CD. I don't notice a difference. What's the difference between the two?

The sopranino is reserved for those special occasions in which the artist seeks to attain a level of annoyance that is beyond the capabilities of even the dreaded soprano sax.

On 4/11/2017 at 5:43 PM, lipi said:

Nah, that's what Eefers, Eb clarinets, are for. :)

Aside: though almost all soprano saxes are indeed in B-flat, there are C soprano saxes, too (one octave above the C-melody (tenor) sax). They're not common, but they exist.

...and I want one, a C-soprano that is.

• 1 year later...

The C soprano does not have as rich a tone as the B flat, just as the C tenor is no match for the B flat - my saxophone mentor said that it is "neither one nor the other". Having the two B flat horns is enough for me.

They actually made a sub contrabass saxophone, in B flat, an octave below the bass saxophone. Utterly ridiculous, but amusing to watch. There is an Italian guy who plays all the sizes - he's real good, too.

I've never seen a sopranino saxophone live, but when I was considering getting a bass clarinet, a symphony guy lent me his (low C) Selmer. While I was there, he got out his E flat clarinet (a fourth higher than the regular one) and got me to blow it. It played very easily, right up to the (written) high C (sounding E flat). It was used very effectively in the "Rametep" scene at the end of "Young Sherlock Holmes". It really punches out the melody.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

There are no good or bad or 'annoying' instruments, it's just the asshole playing them, or listening(not).  Seriously, instrumental prejudices are just like other prejudices....

Voices and instruments produce different types of waveforms and overtones.  It is pure science.  Some of us simply don't like the waveforms and overtones that particular voices and instruments produce.  I personally hate the sound of the soprano sax, and I can only imagine how much I would hate its bastard cousin, should I ever have the misfortune of hearing it.  

On 1/20/2019 at 1:06 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Currently grooving to Rufus Harley on bagpipes, and realizing that I am a total hypocrite for being annoyed by the soprano sax yet enjoying Rufus Harley on bagpipes.

It takes a big man - and you can see how large I am in my profile pic - to admit that he is wrong.

Carry on. 

• Where is that 'all is forgiven, I really like you' emoticon when you need it.  Rufus, whom I met once, was an interesting guy.

8 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I recently played my (B flat) soprano in the kitchen, and my daughter thought it was annoying.

Did you eliminate the variables to target the source of the annoyance? I mean were you naked? Were you playing to the pancakes? Were there police at the door? Did you have a bad reed? Was your daughter traumatized at an early age by a photo of Sidney Bechet rarin' back?

I mean, I annoy my daughter all the time, and often I get why, but there's quite often layers and backstories to this type of thing, and I broke out the soprano in her kitchen, that's opening up a can of worms that ain't gonna be taken fishing, if you know what I'm saying.