J. Geils RIP

sonnymax

Just learned that the guitarist/founder of the seminal Boston group, The J. Geils Band, has died at age 71 from "natural causes". The article states that "the band bridged the gap between disco and new wave", a claim which is ludicrous to any fan of this great group. RIP John (second from the right in the picture below).

NBC News

geils2.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

Edited by sonnymax

The J. Geils Band was my favorite touring band back in the days of my youth. I must've saw them 5 or 6 times. They always rocked out the joint, often playing 3-4 hours of non-stop foot-stomping rock.

One thing I don't understand about the news coverage of Geils's death is the statement that "Centerfold" was their first hit. That's just weird. "Give It To Me" and "Must Of Got Lost" were both hits well before Centerfold. In fact, in the early days of FM radio, the live version of "Must Of Got Lost" from the incredible "Blow Your Face Out" double LP, got extensive airplay in the Boston area. It got to the point where everyone could do the intro rant with Peter Wolf word for word. I think this wooba-gooba can still do it today.

RIP to a great guitarist. I will always remember his band.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan