RIP

Dmitry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... And anybody who finds tiresome the notion that an ongoing proliferation of R.I.P. threads is tiresome and making this place look like Organdonorissimo is free to ignore this thread as well! Etc, etc. People have posted RIP threads about musicians and non-musicians ever since this board started. It's only lately that Jim's taken to posting numerous ones, which does tend to give the board a whiff of the obituary page. I don't see Dmitry or anybody else crashing the threads themselves about it, just stating it here. 

I don´t have to post "RIP" just to raise the number of my posts.

And too many persons I don´t have any idea who it was.

If it´s about a musician who means something to me I might say why I love his music so much, or remember when I heard him/her live.

Anyway, as I grew up with the jazz that was heard then, from post-war bop to 70´s rock-jazz and that´s my listening habits, say from ´45 to late 70´s , most of my idols are gone, from Diz to Alphonse Mouzon...., let´s say, so who´s left just a few.... 

I'm with Gheorghe here.  I don't know who some of these people are.   But where else would I find out about musicians such as Arthur Blythe and Alphonse Mouzon for example..Maybe we can keep the RIPs for musicians.

Edited by JohnS

I'm fascinated, genuinely fascinated,  by how many people I don't learn about until I see their obituary. Interesting people who did interesting things that I may (or may not) have had interaction with, but never at they level of "somebody did this, but who?" Like the guy who died last year, who invented/designed the Solo plastic drink cup. That guy touched more lives more times than we have numbers to count them, I'm sure.

And the reality is that, like most people, I have neither the time, interest, nor focus to keep up with all these people and all their accomplishments in real time. But when their day's work is done, it's nice to be remembered, right? And I'm glad to know who they were, what they did, and how I was touched by it. I'm glad to know that, just as I'm sure most of us would be glad to be known about when our day's work is done. Not forever, but just once.