RIP

Dmitry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say I'm not a fan of this posting trend (is the point that everybody dies, not just jazz musicians we love?  That death, while sad and inevitable, is simply a part of life, etc.?) which has indeed been dominating the "new topics" alert of late.  But it's a free board and all that, c'est la vie... or c'est la mort, as the case may be.  ;)

I don't know about this kind of threads about totally non-jazz (in the wider sense) or non-music personalities (celebrities?) which indeed have been proliferating here too, but in the case of musicians or music-related personailities belonging to the (core) realm of this forum, why not take the news of the death of such a person as a moment to remember them and maybe discuss them, even if only briefly? Nothing wrong with that IMO.

There's some really interesting people (with interesting stories) who die, some of them I've not learned about until they did.

I mean, if Mickey Mantle died (again), everybody would be all over themselves (again) saying so long Mickeroo (again). So, why not Mary Anderson, or people like that? Every bit as interesting, more interesting, really.

There's even been some more recent music or music related deaths not reported here, Dave Peel, Joseph Rascoff, Louis Sarno, the list goes on.

The solution to not having the RIP thread dominating the New Content is simply to have more new content that is not RIP. Post new content about new things.

The math does itself, ok?

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

I don't mind 'em. Jazz musicians often pass away without much notice, and the least we can do is remember them here. As for celebs, that's what the Miscellaneous category is for.

gregmo

If we don't read about them here where would we?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I guess you can get an evening update electronically now: http://www.nytimes.com/newsletters/evening-briefing

That's not the same as a "late edition" though, right?

Um, no. 

There are no true "editions" in the intertubes age...

24/7 news cycle, FTW! 

2 hours ago, Bill Nelson said:

I'm with Dmitry.  Sangrey's constant posting of RIP's has become tiresome. 

There's an absurdly simple way of avoiding them. Would you like me to tell you what it is?