Wes Montgomery/Wynton Kelly - "Smokin' in Seattle" (Resonance Records)

monkboughtlunch

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Anyway, Wes with Kelly at the Halfnote was one of my favourite LPs , though it also didn´t have all tracks with Wes.

That can easily be remedied with this double CD - in contrast to the Verve Wes box this also has some Kelly Trio tracks from the Half Note which were issued on various LPs. Only the three studio tracks are missing, but I suppose you have those.

61pjOGeUJVL.jpg

I listened to the sound on the promo, and it has the same sound problem as "Smokin' at the Half Note".

Wes is way down in the mix, and he sounds kind of 'plinky'.

That's always been my one complaint with Wes' records, they don't record him with enough reverb.

There were some exceptions, but that thumb needed as much 'verb as possible without sounding like The Ventures.;)

Reverb makes the recorded sound less direct, which is not an option, IMO, with Wes' rather delicate sound. 

I, for one, want to hear the instrument, not a room simulation, which basically is what reverb was invented for. A question of personal aesthetic preferences, of course

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Reverb makes the recorded sound less direct, which is not an option, IMO, with Wes' rather delicate sound. 

I, for one, want to hear the instrument, not a room simulation, which basically is what reverb was invented for. A question of personal aesthetic preferences, of course

Compare the sound on an LP like 'Down Here on the Ground' recorded by Creed Taylor, to these recordings. The decay on the attack is quicker when you use your thumb to strike a string than it is if you had used a pick, so you need reverb  to give the sound more sustain.

The titular track is Wes at his best, with Herbie Hancock playing tasteful things behind him.

Edited by sgcim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...