NBA playoffs thread

Got a dog in this fight, anyone?  Got a pick for who'll go all the way?

I've been a Celtics fan ever since they drafted my favorite IU player as a kid (Quinn Buckner) and have hopes of seeing them reach the Eastern Conference finals, though I still think the Cavaliers will most likely get it together enough to stay EC champs.  I'd say Boston's still one year and one star player away from contending for the overall championship.  Not sure if Isaiah Thomas will be playing tomorrow against the Bulls, as his sister died early this morning in a car wreck--would certainly be understandable if he missed that game or others, and the Celtics' offense tends to be much less effective without him. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Rockets, but the Western Conference is, as usual, brutal. They really put a no-doubt smackdown on OKC tonight, and given that they've pretty much owned the Thunder all season, I'd expect that trend to continue for the remainder of the first round. But then they'll be faced with the Spurs, who should never be counted out come playoff time. The Rockets were only 1-3 vs. the Spurs this season, but all four games were very close (three of them decided by two points) and could have easily gone either way. If they make it past the Spurs, they'll almost certainly be facing Golden State in the conference finals. The Rockets barely avoided getting swept by GS in the first round last year, and although this year's team is a completely different animal than last year's was, they've still only managed one win vs. the Warriors this year, and the three losses weren't that close. Overall, I think this is the best team they've had in years, but they need to figure out how to take the next step of beating the Warriors in a playoff series. I expect whoever wins the battle of the West will likewise come out on top in the Finals this year. 

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

I've been a Celtics fan since I was in my teens, and I have to agree with Ghost of Miles that winning the title this year would be a surprise.

EKE BBB, that game last night was amazing to watch, even though the Celtics lost (in part because of Jimmy Butler, in part because the Bulls dominated on the boards). The way the team came together around IT, the crowd's response to him, his performance... I didn't think this was going to be an easy series to begin with, and the Celtics could well lose it, which would obviously be a great disappointment. But they had one of the best on-the-road records in the East and can hopefully take one back in Chicago. Brad Stevens has also made this team a pleasure to watch as it develops (he's a god here in Indiana because of what he did at Butler--IU fans are constantly pining for him to come to Bloomington). And it's only going to get better in the next few years. In the meantime, hoping for a deep run into the postseason this year.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

EKE BBB, that game last night was amazing to watch, even though the Celtics lost (in part because of Jimmy Butler, in part because the Bulls dominated on the boards). The way the team came together around IT, the crowd's response to him, his performance... I didn't think this was going to be an easy series to begin with, and the Celtics could well lose it, which would obviously be a great disappointment. But they had one of the best on-the-road records in the East and can hopefully take one back in Chicago. Brad Stevens has also made this team a pleasure to watch as it develops (he's a god here in Indiana because of what he did at Butler--IU fans are constantly pining for him to come to Bloomington). And it's only going to get better in the next few years. In the meantime, hoping for a deep run into the postseason this year.

Thanks a lot for the chronicle of the game, Ghost! Losing a home game against Chicago is not the best way to start the series, but making it to the Conference Finals is still achievable, of course... (and to the NBA Finals, why not?)

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Looks like we're heading for the same final: Cavs vs Warriors...

If the current trend continues, this matchup will become the Lakers vs. Celtics of this decade. Assuming the Cavs are finals-bound, this year would be LeBron's seventh consecutive trip to the NBA Finals. Don't think anyone else has done that since the Russell-era Celtics.