Monk in Koln 1969 - Any opinions?

GA Russell

I saw Monk with Rouse at the Vanguard Thanksgiving weekend, 1968.  (Walter Booker was on bass, and Roy Haynes on drums.)

Here is a Monk with Rouse concert less than a year later.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2NDQ7Y/

My interest is almost entirely based upon the fact that it was recorded so soon after I saw them.  Has anyone heard this?

How is the sound?  How is the music?

Thanks!

Have not heard this, but found some short samples here:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/jazz/detail/-/art/thelonious-monk-live-in-koln-1969/hnum/6956637

Here's what Lord has - it's the same bassist and drummer as on the Paris recording released on Blue Note a few years ago.

Live in Koln 1969 : Thelonious Monk Quartet : Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) Nate Hygelund (b) Paris Wright (d)

Concert "Sartory Festsäle", Cologne, Germany, December 2, 1969

My idealNice Life Music (Sp)22013 [CD]

I mean you               -

Bright Mississippi               -

Straight no chaser               -

Epistrophy (#1)               -

Epistrophy (#2)               -

I love you (Sweetheart of my dreams) (solo-p)               -

Announcement for 2nd part of concert               -

Blue Monk               -

Hackensack               -

Light blue               -

Blues Five Spot [Five Spot Blues]               -

Don't blame me (solo-p)               -

Perhaps the Paris concert,recorded December 15, is more interesting as it includes a DVD ...

https://www.amazon.com/Paris-1969-CD-DVD-Combo/dp/B00FZRMIX0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1492441774&sr=1-1&keywords=monk+paris+1969

71QyQfBk35L._SL1428_.jpg

I have the DVD of the Paris Concert, plus the solo tracks of Monk playing Ellington from Berlin 1969.

The greatest moment of the Paris Concert is when Philly J.J. sit´s in.

Monk still played very much even if he seemed much more subdued in 1969 and looks older than 52.

But the young and unknown drummer just speeds the tempo up and there are tunes which end much faster than they start, that´s not good if a drummer "run´s away". The bassist though I never heard him before, is good. And Rouse still was the best one to interprete Monk´s music. Heard later versions of the quartet with Paul Jeffrey who sure is good but I like Rouse better.

Never heard about that Koln Concert, must get that.

Monk did really some astonishing stride piano, he played that "Sweetheart of my dreams" as an encore also in Paris.

And I like that interview he did with Jacques Hess. Monk is Monk, but he has his humour about it and even smiles. And I like his laconic answers when he is asked some question, like, when he was asked which of his compositions he likes most and he says "I didn´t rate ´em!"....... or on another occasion when he was asked if he thinks the piano should have more than them 88 keys and he says "it´s hard work to play them 88 keys".....

I have the Koln cd.

7198TxGN6LL._SL1242_.jpg

Sound is very good for this sort of thing. One can hear everyone, although a few times Rouse strays from the mice. And it's a pretty interesting concert. "My Ideal" is a highlight, it opens the show so it's a bit different than if it were in the second set, no one is fully warmed up yet, but it's a rare tune for Monk and suits the Quartet.

Wright is a wee more aggressive and be-boppin' busy than say Riley was with Monk, and he blends well with Hygelund on bass who is a good player in this context. It's not essential perhaps, but a fan of live Monk will find lots to enjoy.

And the Monk 1961 Amsterdam concert from the Dutch Jazz Archive? Can anyone comment on the sound quality? I thought the sound of the Miles Davis 1960 Concertgebouw concerts was disappointing compared to other officially released recordings of the spring and fall 1960 European tours.

• 3 weeks later...

Took me a while to find this one and listen (on headphones). I have the Japanese version in jewel case but forgot and was looking for a digipak spine among my chaotic shelves.

I think the sound is very good, mono and full. Certainly sounds better than any version of the 1960 show I have heard. It shares the same sort of mastering sound to the Miles Davis but the source tapes are a bit better recorded imo. Both the concert and the earlier TV show sound quite good. You can hear the resonance of Monk's piano attack, you can hear Ore and Dunlop very clearly and Rouse seems to stick to the mic and is nicely balanced with the trio behind him.

145069.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Took me a while to find this one and listen (on headphones). I have the Japanese version in jewel case but forgot and was looking for a digipak spine among my chaotic shelves.

I think the sound is very good, mono and full. Certainly sounds better than any version of the 1960 show I have heard. It shares the same sort of mastering sound to the Miles Davis but the source tapes are a bit better recorded imo. Both the concert and the earlier TV show sound quite good. You can hear the resonance of Monk's piano attack, you can hear Ore and Dunlop very clearly and Rouse seems to stick to the mic and is nicely balanced with the trio behind him.

145069.jpg

Thank you for taking the time, Lon. I have put the Monk in my Jazz Messengers cart. The Hank Mobley was already in there.:)