Bruce Langhorne, Guitarist Who Inspired ‘Mr. Tambourine Man,’ Dies at 78

JSngry

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/arts/music/bruce-langhorne-dead-guitarist-with-bob-dylan.html

17LANGHORNE-master768.jpg

Bruce Langhorne, far left, in an image from a YouTube video with Carolyn Hester, Bob Dylan and Bill Lee in 1961 in a studio in New York. Credit Brucelanghornemusic, via YouTube        

Mr. Langhorne had not set out to become a guitar player. A student of the violin, he had to forgo a career in classical music after losing two fingers and most of the thumb on his right hand in an accident involving homemade fireworks when he was 12. He took up the guitar at 17, developing a unique call-and-response approach to the instrument.

“Since I have fingers missing, some styles of guitar playing were forever unreachable for me,” he told an interviewer. “I really needed someone who had a thread going to really do my job,” he continued, alluding to his musical collaborators. “Because then they could generate a couple of lines of polyphony, or a rhythmic structure, and then I could enhance that.”