Lovano and Liebman play Coltrane

Milestones

I heard about it first from Zev Feldman's Facebook page. . . Here's the details:

DAVE LIEBMAN / JOE LOVANO 
Compassion: The Music of John Coltrane

Featuring an all-star band of long-time collaborators led by jazz legends Dave Liebman and Joe Lovano with pianist PhilMarkowitz, bassist Ron McClure and drummer Billy  Hart

Includes 24-page booklet of photos, essays by Grammy Award-winning author Ashley Kahn and Resonance producer  ZevFeldman, plus interviews and statements by all the musicians

Recorded on June 22, 2007 at the legendary Clinton Recording Studios in NYC for BBC radio program "Something Else"

Commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Coltrane's Passing on July 17, 1967

DAVE LIEBMAN / JOE LOVANO

Los Angeles, April 10, 2017 - ResonanceRecords is proud to announce the June 2nd, 2017 release of Dave Liebman / Joe Lovano -  Compassion: The Music of John Coltranfeaturing pianist Phil Markowitz, bassist  Ron McClure and drummer Billy Hart. Recorded a decade ago at the legendary Clinton Recording Studios in NYC for the BBC radio show "Something Else," the newly revealed session celebrates the semicentennial of Coltrane's passing on July 17, 1967 with a seven-tune repertoire that covers each significant creative stage of Coltrane's recorded legacy. Compassion is Resonance's follow-up release to the acclaimed John Coltrane recording Offering: Live at Temple University from 2014, which featured Grammy Award- winning liner notes by  Ashley Kahn.

More here:

http://www.resonancerecords.org/release.php?cat=HCD-2030

Lovano and Liebman had a Coltrane-esque group, Saxophone Summit, with Markowitz and Hart and Cecil McBee and first Michael Brecker and then, after Brecker's death, with Ravi Coltrane. Wasn't optimistic about the idea or the personnel, but when I ran across the one with Brecker I was impressed, as I was later on by the one with Ravi. Some sincere, inventive, even if you will spiritual playing by all four hornmen. IIRC, Markowitz and Hart also are in fine form.

It's somewhat odd to me that this was recorded 10 years ago.  There is also the recent live Lovano and Hank Jones, which was (for obvious reasons) also recorded some time ago.

Is Lovano running low on ideas?  Is he lacking a major label?  I heard he's no longer with Blue Note after such a long run.

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

It's somewhat odd to me that this was recorded 10 years ago.  There is also the recent live Lovano and Hank Jones, which was (for obvious reasons) also recorded some time ago.

Is Lovano running low on ideas?  Is he lacking a major label?  I heard he's no longer with Blue Note after such a long run.

Nothing really that odd. This was originally produced for a BBC radio program honoring the 40th anniversary of Coltrane's death. Though they are listed as co-leaders, Liebman was the point person on the original performance not Lovano, and I assume Dave probably negotiated the right to issue the recording on his own if he could find a label. Fast forward nearly a decade. Liebman either never found someone interested or perhaps never got around to it since he's always doing a zillion things at once. When Zev Feldman at Resonance learned about the recording, he and Liebman started talking and, well, here we are. 

Coda: The Saxophone Summit was/is a rewarding group both live and on record. What I like is the way the group really becomes a different quartet with each saxophonist. 

Edited by Mark Stryker