Art Pepper at Bourbon St. Toronto, 1977

GA Russell

I'm pretty sure that's a recording I did.  I know I recorded that band, and Laurie (some time later) asked for a copy, so I'm thinking that was my taping for a radio broadcast.  Art was knocked out with Bernie Senensky's work, and wanted to take him to NYC for the Vanguard gig, but as Bernie didn't have work papers...

If there's too much bass on it (and the sample says yes) remember the quartet is on a bandstand is about 10 by 15, with the bass amp right behind Pepper.  No isolation whatever.

54 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I'm pretty sure that's a recording I did.  I know I recorded that band, and Laurie (some time later) asked for a copy, so I'm thinking that was my taping for a radio broadcast.  Art was knocked out with Bernie Senensky's work, and wanted to take him to NYC for the Vanguard gig, but as Bernie didn't have work papers...

If there's too much bass on it (and the sample says yes) remember the quartet is on a bandstand is about 10 by 15, with the bass amp right behind Pepper.  No isolation whatever.

Could live with the bass .... and if Art remained on fire throughout the gig probably some low frequency grounding is of advantage ....

Not a ground problem.  Just too much bass, but that can be equalized down.  Art was HOT.  He was in town for 2 weeks, and I was there most nights.

Somehow, some of that material came out. with really bad sound, on an odd Japanese label (Norma?) which must have been recorded by someone off the air.  The only copy I ever made was for Art (Laurie...).

I find it oddly frustrating; it's a great clip and only has only one little dip into the kind of faux 'free thing' which for me mars of lot of this era of his playing (here at about .35). Frustrating because it feels like he sacrificed the whole last act of this life chasing - well, not exactly Trane, but some shadow of Trane. Even his late '60s work (for me) is marred by this kind of silliness. Oh well.

Edited by AllenLowe

9 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

...... Frustrating because it feels like he sacrificed the whole last act of this life chasing - well, not exactly Trane, but some shadow of Trane. Even his late '60s work (for me) is marred by this kind of silliness. Oh well.

Tend to believe Art Pepper himself was not chasing  but hunted by his own demons .... probably around the time of his Village Vanguard recordings the roughness in his playing prevailed but rather shortly thereafter lyricism and masterful balladry broke trough (again) which highlighted a number of recordings until his death ....

22 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Not a ground problem.  Just too much bass, but that can be equalized down.  Art was HOT.  He was in town for 2 weeks, and I was there most nights.

Could you pls share some memories - especially regarding the musicians building the rhythm section ....

Y'know something Soulpope?  In a way, it was just another booking at Bourbon St.  Toronto, at that time, had several very active clubs bringing in top-rank players and we had great local musicians, so while it was great that Art Pepper was there, it seemed normal, and he'd be back another time; Rob McConnell's Boss Brass was roaring; next week Ruby Braff would be playing with Ed Bickert; Woody Herman's band was going to be at the Imperial Room following Peggy Lee; Anthony Braxton was recording up the street, and, and, and...... 

I was doing a six-day-a-week jazz radio show, going to all the clubs and concerts and interviewing the artists, and it was never going to end.  It seems it has.

As to the rhythm section, trumpet player named Paul Grosney was booking Bourbon Street at that time so he would have been the guy who put together the rhythm section, and it was great!  Terry Clarke is one of the best damn jazz drummers I've ever heard, Bernie Senensky a great pianist (still!) and David Piltch was a teenage phenom, possibly not old enough to be allowed into licensed premises...  But if it wasn't that particular trio, it could have been any other three great players available in a city of great players.  I never heard any visitors complain about their accompaniment.  In fact, you'd hear things like "what a relief to come to Toronto.  You won't believe what I had to work with last week in ******..."

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

I used to listen to Ted's show on CJRT. It was terrific.  

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yep, same here. Even still have a CJRT sticker on my old Grundig radio !

1 hour ago, brownie said:

There is a 'Art Pepper Live in Toronto, 1977, Volume  1)' from that gig that one of our members put out several years ago (Naked City Records CD 010). Still waiting for volume 2...

Wow, thanks...

Brownie, "one of our members"?  Hmmm....very bootleg.

the truth must be told; I actually didn't put it out, just mastered it for a Japanese label, but the whole thing was a fiasco, as they lied about owning the rights, and so there's a whole lot of unsold copies sitting around (though I won't say where).  However, he does play well on it. Because of the problems, however, there will not be a Volume 2.

Edited by AllenLowe

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

the truth must be told; I actually didn't put it out, just mastered it for a Japanese label, but the whole thing was a fiasco, as they lied about owning the rights, and so there's a whole lot of unsold copies sitting around (though I won't say where).  However, he does play well on it. Because of the problems, however, there will not be a Volume 2.

No Vol. 2?  Good news.  Let's see what Laurie releases.