Denny Zeitlin at Mezzrow webcasts

Ken Dryden

I've enjoyed the past two nights of Denny Zeitlin at Mezzrow that have been available as live webcasts. He will be playing with his trio (Buster Williams and Matt Wilson) tonight and tomorrow, accessible through SmallsLive.com.

Too bad they won't be a part of SmallsLive archives for later viewing for members.

No problem over here - caught the first set and uninterupted feed. It was predictably excellent - the group's cohesion noticeably improved towards the end of the set (not that it was bad to begin with). Fine selection of standards and originals - will try to catch it again tonight.

Wish I could have picked up one of those CDs Denny was selling and signing in the club.

Unlike being in the audience, you also don't get turfed out at the end of the first set with the streaming option. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, they do well all things considered as the club can't be very large and, as you say, there are 3 top flight musicians to pay for. I think they give people the option of standing in the bar area for the second set, so that is pretty good. Next time I am in NYC I will be sure to visit this place and Smalls.

We had thunderstrorms pass through last evening and also ate a late dinner, so I skipped th live webcast of the Denny Zeitlin Trio at Mezzrow. What a surprise to find a link to the complete performance on Facebook this morning, as on the Smalls Jazz Club page. I don't know how long it will be available, but I'm trying to listen to some of it this morning.

Listening to the Zeitlin Mosaic box once again (predictably good), I wonder what came of those Mosaic plans in 2008 to put out 'Shining Hour: Live at the Trident' with the additional takes, presumably intended as a 'Singles' release? A shame that one never saw the light of day.

I don't think that the Mosaic Singles sold all that well, which is why the label seems to have abandoned them. It has also been awhile since they've issued any new Mosaic Selects. Denny told me that there was around one CD's worth of bonus material worthy of issue from 'Shining Hour: Live at the Trident.' 

Good news: Links to webcasts of the last three evenings of Denny Zeitlin's four nights at Mezzrow last week have been shared on the SmallsLIve FB page. I don't know how long they will be accessible. I still want to hear both trio nights in full.