BFT #158 discussion

Hardbopjazz

I will participate through the streaming option on the link set up by Thom Keith.

With the convenient way that Thom sets it up for us, and the current practice of just posting the link in this thread instead of using private messages, signing up for the new BFT is not really necessary. Anyone can just jump in when the link is activated. But I am glad that you have announced the BFT, and look forward to what you have in store for us!

Welp, no full IDs, but definitely some recognizable "faces".  Track 15 is a FIND!!!!!  REALLY looking forward to the reveal on this one!

1 - Neil Hefti, baby!  Love this song, always have.  Always wanted to cover it, but thus far have had no takers.  Player in the right channel needs to articulate that head.  Playing the song but not playing THE song.  Solid facility on that horn, though.  Right at 2:03 he does something that clues me in to his era.  Late 70s/Early 80s.  Has that Billy Pierce sound in there, but not the overly polished bit of the guys that came after that period.  There's some shoutin' going on here (through a fabric of Coltrane).  Drummer is going for that Blakey shuffle.  The guy who does this best, IMHO, is Ralph Peterson.  This could be Ralph, but my sense is that this is a little older than his period.  Second guy is working hard, but just falling short of the first.  Second guy could be Ralph Bowen, but doesn't seem to have his facility.  I like this because, even though the execution is a tick below where the ideas want to go, they're fighting for it, and I appreciate the journey.  SUCH a great tune.  Hmmm... that WAS odd.

2 - I'm in, immediately.  Sounds like Sonny Simmons off the bat.  Ah... no, that's Oliver Lake.  Not sure *what* it is, but it's definitely him.  Sounds like McBee to me on bass.  Can't place the pianist and any guess would be by association.  Hmmm... can I switch to Reggie Workman on bass?  I like this A LOT.

3 - Hmmm... this one is not any of the things the last two were.  Sounds like it was done on a Mac, using the tone generator in Garage Band.  Just not feeling this one.

4 - This makes me want to growl -- in a very good way.  GROOVIN'!  LOVE this!  Only thing I can guess is maybe somebody like Fred Ho or Barney McAll.  This seems more edgy than either of them.

5 - Hmmm.  Total guess:  Plas on alto?

6 - That left hand sounds like Tommy Flanagan to me.  Should know the song, but it's hard to hear because I have bad theater signing in the background VERY LOUD ("ONE!  SINGULAR SENSATION!").  #hazardsOfListeningAtWork

7 - Somebody out of the B.B. King school (but a unique voice).  The formula is the one B.B. made famous, though.  Rocks out and creates a genuine appreciation, but can't say who it might be.  Voice is similar to 'Spoon, but not as full.  I like this guy's influences, for sure.  I think it's a survivor, but I'm not versed enough in the genre to pick him out.

8 - Sounds like Archie Shepp's singing.  Can't imagine who the guitar would be if that were the case.  Guitar is not this guy's main axe.  Could it be Archie on guitar?  Voice isn't quite gruff enough for me to commit to Archie; I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

9 - Can't decide where I am on this one, but it's interesting.  No guess.

10 - I think I have this.  Maybe not.  I can't seem to track it down in my collection.  Some parts Very, Very Circus, but not quite to that point.  Reminds me a lot of some David Harris stuff.  Touch of Dave Holland, as well.  Ah!  It's reminding me of Chris Klaxton, which it definitely isn't.  Intrigued.

11 - Jitterbug Waltz.  Sounds like Randy Weston's approach to me (earlier).  Wait, no.  Too busy.  Somebody out of that school, though.  Muhal?  I don't know, but I like this take on the tune, a lot.

12 - This is a weird one.  The bari player has that Harry Carney thing down, but clearly it's neither him nor Duke.  It's something newer, but has a pleasant, somewhat plaintive feel.  Both tenors are patient and musical.  I recognize the song, but truly suck at song names.  My guess is this is an Ellington composition, explaining what I'm hearing in that regard.  (Can you tell I'm splitting time between this and report cards?)  Is this one of the tunes from Anatomy of a Murder?  It's extremely well done.

13 - Another of the many Monk melodies I can play but not name.  Is this Let's Call This?  Pianist reminds me of Cedar Walton at times, but I don't think it's him.  Though, it could be.  

14 - Don't know what this is.  Interesting as hell.  Not Matt Shipp, perhaps before that.  Busy, but interesting.

15 - Wheelhouse.  Has that Muse sound.  I'm in .  Ooooo!  Billy Harper, for sure!  With David?  What the HELL!?!??!  I had no idea this existed!  WOW!  Man, this IS a treat!  

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Welp, no full IDs, but definitely some recognizable "faces".  Track 15 is a FIND!!!!!  REALLY looking forward to the reveal on this one!

1 - Neil Hefti, baby!  Love this song, always have.  Always wanted to cover it, but thus far have had no takers.  Player in the right channel needs to articulate that head.  Playing the song but not playing THE song.  Solid facility on that horn, though.  Right at 2:03 he does something that clues me in to his era.  Late 70s/Early 80s.  Has that Billy Pierce sound in there, but not the overly polished bit of the guys that came after that period.  There's some shoutin' going on here (through a fabric of Coltrane).  Drummer is going for that Blakey shuffle.  The guy who does this best, IMHO, is Ralph Peterson.  This could be Ralph, but my sense is that this is a little older than his period.  Second guy is working hard, but just falling short of the first.  Second guy could be Ralph Bowen, but doesn't seem to have his facility.  I like this because, even though the execution is a tick below where the ideas want to go, they're fighting for it, and I appreciate the journey.  SUCH a great tune.  Hmmm... that WAS odd.

Not correct/

2 - I'm in, immediately.  Sounds like Sonny Simmons off the bat.  Ah... no, that's Oliver Lake.  Not sure *what* it is, but it's definitely him.  Sounds like McBee to me on bass.  Can't place the pianist and any guess would be by association.  Hmmm... can I switch to Reggie Workman on bass?  I like this A LOT.

It is Oliver Lake. Not McBee or Workman.

3 - Hmmm... this one is not any of the things the last two were.  Sounds like it was done on a Mac, using the tone generator in Garage Band.  Just not feeling this one.

4 - This makes me want to growl -- in a very good way.  GROOVIN'!  LOVE this!  Only thing I can guess is maybe somebody like Fred Ho or Barney McAll.  This seems more edgy than either of them.

Incorrect

5 - Hmmm.  Total guess:  Plas on alto?

Incorrect

6 - That left hand sounds like Tommy Flanagan to me.  Should know the song, but it's hard to hear because I have bad theater signing in the background VERY LOUD ("ONE!  SINGULAR SENSATION!").  #hazardsOfListeningAtWork

Not Tommy Flanagan.

7 - Somebody out of the B.B. King school (but a unique voice).  The formula is the one B.B. made famous, though.  Rocks out and creates a genuine appreciation, but can't say who it might be.  Voice is similar to 'Spoon, but not as full.  I like this guy's influences, for sure.  I think it's a survivor, but I'm not versed enough in the genre to pick him out.

Not BB

8 - Sounds like Archie Shepp's singing.  Can't imagine who the guitar would be if that were the case.  Guitar is not this guy's main axe.  Could it be Archie on guitar?  Voice isn't quite gruff enough for me to commit to Archie; I think I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Not Shepp

9 - Can't decide where I am on this one, but it's interesting.  No guess.

10 - I think I have this.  Maybe not.  I can't seem to track it down in my collection.  Some parts Very, Very Circus, but not quite to that point.  Reminds me a lot of some David Harris stuff.  Touch of Dave Holland, as well.  Ah!  It's reminding me of Chris Klaxton, which it definitely isn't.  Intrigued.

Incorrect

11 - Jitterbug Waltz.  Sounds like Randy Weston's approach to me (earlier).  Wait, no.  Too busy.  Somebody out of that school, though.  Muhal?  I don't know, but I like this take on the tune, a lot.

12 - This is a weird one.  The bari player has that Harry Carney thing down, but clearly it's neither him nor Duke.  It's something newer, but has a pleasant, somewhat plaintive feel.  Both tenors are patient and musical.  I recognize the song, but truly suck at song names.  My guess is this is an Ellington composition, explaining what I'm hearing in that regard.  (Can you tell I'm splitting time between this and report cards?)  Is this one of the tunes from Anatomy of a Murder?  It's extremely well done.

13 - Another of the many Monk melodies I can play but not name.  Is this Let's Call This?  Pianist reminds me of Cedar Walton at times, but I don't think it's him.  Though, it could be.  

14 - Don't know what this is.  Interesting as hell.  Not Matt Shipp, perhaps before that.  Busy, but interesting.

15 - Wheelhouse.  Has that Muse sound.  I'm in .  Ooooo!  Billy Harper, for sure!  With David?  What the HELL!?!??!  I had no idea this existed!  WOW!  Man, this IS a treat!  

It is Billy Harper. 

1. Melody reminiscent of Bags Groove/Duke's Place.  Organ and Tenor featured.  Could this be the Very Saxy date with Arnett Cobb and three more tenors?
   2. The personality of Coltrane and Tyner is all over the intro.  Not them, not Billy Harper or Joe Henderson, maybe Steve Grossman?
   3. Paul Bley did some nice Synth work, but but I only remember tracks with bass and drums.
   4. Definitely sounds like Abdullah Ibrahim.  Chris McGregor also a possibility
   5. Jumping tune with a Milt Buckner/Bill Doggett feel.
   6. Unless the applause is dubbed from elsewhere, this is a very well known pianist.  Kenny Barron?
   7. Deep jazz blues singing.  Joe Williams
   8. Did Blood Ulmer ever record on acoustic.  If not then Ronald Shannon Jackson.
   9. Probably not a jazz identified voice.  Not liking my guess of Paul Robeson, but not finding any better guess either.
  10. The composition has a Henry Threadgill feel.
  11. Solo Piano Jitterbug Waltz, Live
  12. Duke Ellington?  
  13. Tommy Flanagan?
  14. Andrew Hill?
  15. That sounds so much like the rhtyhm section of Woody Shaw's Love Dance.  Is it Woody and Billy Harper?

6 hours ago, randyhersom said:

1. Melody reminiscent of Bags Groove/Duke's Place.  Organ and Tenor featured.  Could this be the Very Saxy date with Arnett Cobb and three more tenors?

No it isn't that session

2. The personality of Coltrane and Tyner is all over the intro.  Not them, not Billy Harper or Joe Henderson, maybe Steve Grossman?

No is isn't any of these. Thom Keith got the alto player.

3. Paul Bley did some nice Synth work, but but I only remember tracks with bass and drums.

No it isn't Bley.
   4. Definitely sounds like Abdullah Ibrahim.  Chris McGregor also a possibility

No neither of those.

5. Jumping tune with a Milt Buckner/Bill Doggett feel.

No not them.
   6. Unless the applause is dubbed from elsewhere, this is a very well known pianist.  Kenny Barron?

No it isn't Kenny Barron. Yes, it is well know pianist.
   7. Deep jazz blues singing.  Joe Williams

Not Joe Williams

8. Did Blood Ulmer ever record on acoustic.  If not then Ronald Shannon Jackson.

No it isn't them.

9. Probably not a jazz identified voice.  Not liking my guess of Paul Robeson, but not finding any better guess either.

No t isn't him.

10. The composition has a Henry Threadgill feel.

Not Theadgill.

11. Solo Piano Jitterbug Waltz, Live
  12. Duke Ellington?  

Not Ellington or an Ellington piece of music.

13. Tommy Flanagan?

Not Flanagan
  14. Andrew Hill?

Not Hill
  15. That sounds so much like the rhtyhm section of Woody Shaw's Love Dance.  Is it Woody and Billy Harper?

It is Billy Harper. Thom Keith got that. No it isn't Woody.

I can identify a few musicians, although not the albums that these tracks came from.

7. This is Little Milton. I knew that the voice was familiar and played bits of several blues albums from my collection until I found the match. I do not have this album though. It may be from a later period than the Little Milton albums which I have.

10. This is Mary Halvorson on guitar. I went through a period of listening to her quite a lot, some years ago now. I have not kept up with her more recent releases. I included a track from her Saturn Sings album on one of my Blindfold Tests, maybe five years ago. I am not familiar with this track or the album on which it appears.

I have listened to this Blindfold Test some more. It is very enjoyable and intriguing. I love it. Some of the tracks just totally stump me, even though I enjoy them. I wonder if some of the tracks feature European jazz musicians, who I do not know very much about. Whoever these musicians are, the performances are very compelling and I am looking forward to the Reveal.