Peter Kuhn

Late

Yes.

The NoBusiness reissue of his "Livin' Right" LP is essential and adds extra duos with Denis Charles. His newer work also sounds very good, like he hasn't skipped a beat. I think I have all of his earlier records (Hat Hut, Soul Note, sideman dates w/ Lowe, Parker, Sewelson) and there's nothing I wouldn't recommend.

My first exposure to Kelvyn Bell. Great solo later in the program.

Denis Charles seems like a halfway point between Art Blakey and Ed Blackwell. I've always liked his playing, and it's great to see footage of how he used the kit.

Motörhead ;)

• 2 weeks later...

No Coming, No Going is really, really good. The 2-disc set comes from Latvia. Took about a week to arrive in the U.S.

Kuhn wrote the liner notes, and they're excellent — a brief musical autobiography of sorts, reflecting on fellow musicians, his problems with substance abuse and later recovery, and his way in and out (and then back in) to the music. I don't usually enjoy liner notes, but these were memorable. Some great anecdotes about Frank Lowe and Billy Bang in particular.

The music is killer. If you like free jazz — and this is free jazz that doesn't just try to blow the door down — you'll want to hear this. The trumpet player Arthur Williams plays some of the best free trumpet I've ever heard. Thoughtful, brilliant stuff. And with William Parker and Denis Charles on board, you almost can't lose.

Pick this one up (if you're inclined toward this type of music) before it falls into oblivion. I'm very glad I did.

On 24.4.2017 at 4:21 AM, uli said:

No K ü hns in California?

Dont forget that the name "Kuhn" exists even in Germanophonic countries - alongside "Kühn" but as a different name in its own right. So no need to suppose there "must" be an "umlaut". :D

And if he is American it is no wonder his (or his family's) name has been americanized. This is quite natural. Just like in the case of Steve Kuhn. Contrary to Rolf or Joachim Kühn, for example, who are entitled to the correct spelling of their names no matter where they are being quoted or put into print.