hank mobley question

hgweber

there is this recording where the trumpet player (lee morgan?) basically "falls in" for mobley, who misses the start of his solo. the trumpet plays a few of mobley's pet licks to call him in. i can't for the life of me remember which record that is. i always though it was BN 1540 but i can't seem to find the passage. it's driving me nuts. can anyone help me out, please?

thank you all! i combed through the BN 50s, monday night at birdland,  and the messages. couldn't find it. i had it on tape 25 years ago and could've sworn it was BN 1540 (mobley with byrd and morgan). but it isn't. maybe it's even mentioned in the liner notes of the record in question.

furthermore it has led me to search for that other track where mobley starts his solo with the cleaning utensils still stuffed inside the horn, which he removes during the solo. can't seem to find that again either. i must really be getting old...

This is the solo transition I was thinking of in my first post upthread, but rereading your original post, this doesn't really match the description. (It's the first track, "An Aperitif" from Third Season.)

In any case, the transition from Hank's to Lee's solo (at 1:50) has I think Mobley going (to far?) into the first phrase of Lee's solo space (like he want to far). But then Lee echoes exactly what Hank played immediately before.

Did they plan it that way? I don't know - opinions?

You really have to hear the whole context to pickup where in the form it happens, so start no later than about 1:30 if you jump in the middle...

yeah, mobley plays two beats into the new form and morgan takes hank's last lick to start his own solo. this is very common and not planned at all. the recording i can't seem to find has lee (if it's actually lee) impersonating hank for a few measures. which is quite funny iirc.

Edited by hgweber

7 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

huh?

it's true. he forgets his cleaning stuff inside the horn and removes it during the solo. it's clearly audible. could be somewhere on message or 2nd message. i'll go on a mobley binge this weekend and am determined to find both tracks again.