Massive layoffs at ESPN

2 hours ago, catesta said:

The redundancy off too many fuckin' many channels caught up to them long ago and they're just now getting it.

I think its the 10 to 15,000 cable subscribers they have been losing every month for I am not sure how many years.  Wish I had a link to the article where I got that statistic from but basically its becoming an unsustainable business model - all the money they are paying out for rights fees, and the revenue can't sustain it any longer.  First they had massive layoffs of production staff, now its high-priced on-air "talent".

4 hours ago, uli said:

i am not wishing for anybody to lose their jobs but there's got be a limit on how many people can make a living by talking about what other people do to make a living.

I actually think there's a lot of demand for this - just not necessarily with ESPN.

(FWIW, while I suspect this is a major hardship for those who lost these jobs, the numbers here are relatively small, not massive.)

11 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I think its the 10 to 15,000 cable subscribers they have been losing every month for I am not sure how many years.  Wish I had a link to the article where I got that statistic from but basically its becoming an unsustainable business model - all the money they are paying out for rights fees, and the revenue can't sustain it any longer.  First they had massive layoffs of production staff, now its high-priced on-air "talent".

If it means anything, I can confirm this. Cord-cutters are indeed the primary reason behind this. It has been reported all over the media. I most recently heard Dan Patrick talking about it on his radio show. 

3 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I actually think there's a lot of demand for this - just not necessarily with ESPN.

(FWIW, while I suspect this is a major hardship for those who lost these jobs, the numbers here are relatively small, not massive.)

For a company that just laid off 300 production employees in October, these numbers actually are very significant. When you have a second round of layoffs, that itself is very significant. 

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Seems to me the future (which is already here to a large extent) will be people streaming subscription services on their phones for the sports and teams they prefer.

And that's really the driving factor in all of this. Cord-cutting has become FAR easier in recent years with things like Netflix, Apple TV, Roku, etc...

Reading the book, Those Guys Have All The Fun, it was amazing to see how far ahead of the curve the founders of ESPN were back then. But the digital revolution has left them flat-footed and directionless. 

Sports are sooooo analog. OTOH, there are live streaming, hosted, video game competitions. Yeah, not only can you play multi-player action in real time, you can just watch other people do it. And I hear that not only are there audiences, there are growing audiences. Ain't no way ESPN gets a handle on that action.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sports are sooooo analog. OTOH, there are live streaming, hosted, video game competitions. Yeah, not only can you play multi-player action in real time, you can just watch other people do it. And I hear that not only are there audiences, there are growing audiences. Ain't no way ESPN gets a handle on that action.

Actually, they did a couple of years ago. It didn't go over well with their audience. 

And then there's this: http://www.espn.com/esports/

I just realize how old I truly am when I look at that particular part of their site...and can't figure out where the fuck I am, or what the fuck I'm reading about.

But, I can tell you this (courtesy of having a teenage son in the house): kids watching other kids and/or adults playing video games? HUGE! There are hundreds of YouTube stations devoted to just that. Not hundreds of videos. Hundreds of stations, which usually contain hundreds of videos. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

I just realize how old I truly am when I look at that particular part of their site...and can't figure out where the fuck I am, or what the fuck I'm reading about.

But, I can tell you this (courtesy of having a teenage son in the house): kids watching other kids and/or adults playing video games? HUGE! There are hundreds of YouTube stations devoted to just that. Not hundreds of videos. Hundreds of stations, which usually contain hundreds of videos. 

Yes, same here. Both my kids watch all that, constantly. I think if I got rid of the TV, my son wouldn't notice for days.

10 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

For a company that just laid off 300 production employees in October, these numbers actually are very significant. When you have a second round of layoffs, that itself is very significant. 

Of course - but in the grand scheme of the US economy (1.6 million layoffs a month), it's _tiny_.