Coltrane film premiere in Baltimore

bertrand

For lack of time, I am cutting and pasting from my Facebook post. Disclaimer: This is not some Corporate pitch, I organized this out of the goodness of my heart. Artist is being compensated for her performance, of course.

Today, Friday 4/28, the John Coltrane documentary Chasing Trane, directed by John Scheinfeld, will open at the Charles Theater in Baltimore (1711 North Charles Street). As those of you familiar with the Baltimore’s legendary Left Bank Jazz Society (LBJS) surely know, the Famous Ballroom where many of their concerts were held was in the very same building now occupied by the Charles Theater. It is at the Famous Ballroom that the LBJS presented John Coltrane almost 50 years ago, on 5/7/67, in what was to be his very last concert. There has been some confusion in the past regarding this, but the concert recorded at the Olatunji center in April 1967 was Coltrane’s last recorded concert, not his last one.

I am delighted to announce that the Charles Theater has agreed to host a special event on opening night of the film (there are afternoon screenings) to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Coltrane's last concert in the building in which it took place, culminating with a solo performance by alto saxophonist (and new Baltimore resident!) Sarah Hughes. The evening begins with the film screening from 7:05PM to approximately 8:55, followed by 20-minute panel discussion/Q & A. The exact format for the discussion will be determined based on who is in the audience. In addition to Sarah and me, we hope to involve anyone who was a Left Bank member and/or was present at the concert. But the length of the panel is limited by the fact that there is another showing at 9:40PM. Finally, the evening will conclude in the lobby for Sarah's performance. We will begin between 9:30 and 9:45PM and end approximately an hour later. The concession stand closes around 9:45, but the theater said that drinks etc. from the next door Tapas place can be brought into the lobby.

I am very excited that we were able to organize this event on just a few days' notice, and especially happy that Sarah is able to participate!

I hope many of you can join us! Please share with your friends, in the hope that witnesses to this last concert can be aware of this event and may be able to participate in the discussion!

http://www.coltranefilm.com/

http://www.baltimoreorless.com/2013/09/john-coltranes-last-ever-gig-was-at-baltimores-famous-ballroom/