Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just called Mosaic and ordered two boxes and two singles. I told them about threads on jazz boards about how they are in trouble. He said that they are not going to close in the immediate future, but that they have hit a financial wall. He said that every order helps, and thanked me.

54 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I'm assuming the backordered sets are not to be pressed?

How do they decide when to repress back order sets?  I presume that they wait until they have enough orders.  So if you're interested you should order now as there's no risk since they don't bill until they ship. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I guess if we're lucky this email will get enough people off the fence with enough purchases to replenish the coffers enough for them to struggle on and maybe to another new release?

Hope springs eternal. I'd like to have that prospective Teddy Wilson Columbia set!

gregmo

I have the Benedetti box and have enjoyed listening to it. I'm a bit of a Bird fanatic. It could be overkill for some people. The thing to realize is that this material may never be available in this form again. That depends on how creative the bootleggers get.

Your call (obviously) on whether to get it.

Jazzbo is bang on correct. That booklet is one of their best, a lavish production and a fascinating read. The music, although lo-fi, is miraculous and has real presence.  May not be to everyone's taste though as in most cases only the Parker solos were recorded.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I'm assuming the backordered sets are not to be pressed?

No that is not correct, according to the Mosaic staff person I talked to today. He said that one of the boxes which I ordered was on backorder, and that they would have it in two weeks. He said that he would ship my entire order when the backorder item comes in within two weeks.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I guess if we're lucky this email will get enough people off the fence with enough purchases to replenish the coffers enough for them to struggle on and maybe to another new release?

Maybe they can do a Norah Jones set to replenish the coffers.  Worked for Blue Note.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

I do. One of 80 Mosaics, if I'm counting correctly; I didn't last time (and I'm not counting Mosaic singles).

The Benedetti box will be my...second. :( 

It was simply bad timing on my part. By the time I had discovered Mosaic, I was deep in the heart of my 60's Free Jazz binge. Then by the time I came back around to more traditional Jazz, we were home owners (with a child), and my "fun money" went into hiding. 

And as you can likely surmise, my only Mosaic is the Sam Rivers Blue Note Sessions. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

if it makes you feel any better: I only have one big box and 6 or 7 Selects... not missing much but I also think I'll get the Benedetti box rather sooner than later... and with 2000+ "vintage" jazz cds I really don't feel like the end of Mosaic is my fault (born in the eighties)