Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

I got the email.  It is sad, but the writing is definitely on the wall.  My kids don't understand the point of CDs at all.  The computers at work don't have CD-drives, so you have to convert the CDs to play them anyway, so it isn't that far to cut out the middle step and just go digital and streaming.

Anyway, I have been eyeing the Beehive set for some time, and it is still in print, so I ordered it.  But this will probably be the last time I order from Mosaic.  Between the terrible exchange rate and the brutal shipping (and customs!) to get things to Canada, it just isn't worth it any longer.  As a certain someone would put it -- Sad!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You won't go wrong with that Beehive set. I've had CD 1 (Brignola) on repeat plays since yesterday - fantastic.

The only 3 I 'need' at this stage are the James P Johnson, Goodman and Armstrong Decca, which are all on backorder. Can live without the Bing Crosby I think.

This is sad as everyone has noted.  The terrible exchange rate hasn't helped orders from me. Looks like I may have to live without the James P Johnson and Ella/Duke sets- these are pretty much the only ones I really wanted. I've just too much of the Savoy and Dial sets already to justify springing for them. 

I've ordered the JPJ set in the hopes that it encourages a further run or they find one behind a cupboard etc)

I'm currently looking at what else might possibly be of interest to me. I have been curious about the Benedetti set since reading the Penguin review.  Possibly the Ahmad Jamal. I would have to do some research & listening before deciding on either of them, though.

The Dial and Savoy sets' sound samples have been a deterrent for me.

Edited by erwbol

Am a big fan of Mosaic's work but , the shipping fees combined to the exchange rate made them way too expensive to support them, truth be told except for marketplace sellers who are offering stuff on our local Amazon, I haven't bought anything from the USA since many years.

Qty Description Total
Woody Shaw: The Complete Muse Sessions (#255) 
Item: 255-MD-CD   Price: $119.00  
$119.00  
The Complete Bee Hive Sessions (#261) 
Item: 261-MD-CD   Price: $169.00  
$169.00  
Eddie Condon - Tiger Rag And All That Jazz 
Item: CONDE19   Price: $11.98  
$11.98  
Subtotal: $299.98
(National,State and Local taxes)  Tax: $0.00
(AIRMAIL (CANADA)) Shipping:
$25.00

TOTAL: $324.98

My order sent this morning. Agonized over this a bit. More than I wanted to spend (naturally) but manageable. Really wanted the Condon/Freeman set too, but couldn't justify it, so threw in the Condon single (which also has Freeman on it).  .

Edited by John Tapscott

Mosaic sure will get some orders through that e-mail, it seems. I ordered a copy of the Hines from Jazz Messengers, who still seem to have a few in stock.

On my wish list are the Joe Pass, the Ahmad Jamal, James P. Johnson, Lester Young/Count Basie (although I have almost all of it in various forms), and the Turrentine - hope the latter comes back in print. One box per month ....

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Mosaic sure will get some orders through that e-mail, it seems. I ordered a copy of the Hines from Jazz Messengers, who still seem to have a few in stock.

On my wish list are the Joe Pass, the Ahmd Jamal, James P. Johnson, Lester Young/Count Basie (although I have almost all of in various forms), and the Turrentine - hope the latter comes back in print. One box per month ....

I f this situation would not be so serious I would tend to believe this being a crafty marketing idea - of course a company could use it only once (and for a short time ) ;) ....

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:
Qty Description Total
$119.00  
$169.00  
$11.98  
$25.00

My order sent this morning. Agonized over this a bit. More than I wanted to spend (naturally) but manageable. Really wanted the Condon/Freeman set too, but couldn't justify it, so threw in the Condon single (which also has Freeman on it).  .

Just curious - what was the order # on the email they sent you to confirm receipt of that order?

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

My single CD order came in as #31189853, my Goodman order, again, submitted quite literally two minutes or less later, came back as #31189990.

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

Order # : 31193783

Ok, that numbering system is definitely not totally linear sequential. Pretty sure they didn't get almost 3793 orders overnight.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Ok, that numbering system is definitely not totally linear sequential. Pretty sure they didn't get almost 3793 orders overnight.

They're not. My number from a few hours before you posted about this yesterday was 31188294. The first one you post approximately three hours later was 31189853. 

I'm thinking the chances of them selling over 1500 orders in three hours might be a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

58 minutes ago, Jason Drake said:

Stock at Jazz Messengers is going down quicky, a number of items on website now showing as "no stock"

I just looked but the CD sets I checked were all in stock. Which sets did you find as "no stock?

BTW - they have listed the Johnny Mercer and Tony Williams Selects.once again ......

18 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

How so? They own full rights to that, don't they? It's the only unlimited set they offer. 

Well, I think because most of those who will purchase the Benedetti set now, will do so as an impulse buy. The real Bird lovers have bought theirs a long time ago.

54 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Well, I think because most of those who will purchase the Benedetti set now, will do so as an impulse buy. The real Bird lovers have bought theirs a long time ago.

There might be few new converts who still might want to buy this.

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow...if order #s are truly system-generate sequentially in the order of submission, business is booming?

My single CD order came in as #31189853, my Goodman order, again, submitted quite literally two minutes or less later, came back as #31189990.

I know that boxes are not shipped sequentially, but shouldn't orders follow a linear chronology? Or is there any chance that they went to different servers or something and a digit in the order signifies that?

There could in fact be quite a few orders. Hans (J.A.W.) posted the initial warning on four online boards, including the large and very active Hoffman board, which has a thread going on right now about Mosaic's problems. Their thread has several posts by members who say that they have just placed orders.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

I f this situation would not be so serious I would tend to believe this being a crafty marketing idea - of course a company could use it only once (and for a short time ) ;) ....

If it is a crafty marketing idea, then the Mosaic staff person who I talked to on the telephone yesterday is a great actor. He sounded very sincere as he described their financial problem.

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:
Qty Description Total
$119.00  
$169.00  
$11.98  
$25.00

...and of course, when that US$300 hits your Canadian credit card, it'll be over C$400...

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I just looked but the CD sets I checked were all in stock. Which sets did you find as "no stock?

BTW - they have listed the Johnny Mercer and Tony Williams Selects.once again ......

Savoy, Beehive, Shaw - very very happy to be proved wrong

2 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

...and of course, when that US$300 hits your Canadian credit card, it'll be over C$400...

I know, I know, but I'm getting a nice income tax refund.  And I've already saved some towards it. Plus it may well be my last Mosaic order.  All the arguments I use on myself (and my wife, if needed!). :rolleyes:

Edited by John Tapscott

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I have no idea how that explains: 

"Imho, the Benedetti is one set that'll be the easiest to find, if Mosaic shutters up."

Find where? If Mosaic shuts down, that set goes with them unless they're able to sell the rights to another label. 

Oh, and I apologize on behalf of all the posers. Us fake Bird lovers stick together.