Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

Hesitated, but decided to post this: Scott Wenzel just told me the James P. Johnson set will be reprinted, but he couldn't say yet when. The Clifford Jordan is still a "maybe". 

HOORAY!  I'll definitely be ordering the JPJ set when it's available again. :tup

Thanks for sharing that news, J.A.W.!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Another :tup from me. Will order when back in stock.

JPJ pressure group   1 :   Market Indifference 0

Maybe I misunderstand (I often do) but shouldn't  you order them before they're back in print to encourage them to print them?  There's no risk since they don't charge you until they ship. 

8 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Hesitated, but decided to post this: Scott Wenzel just told me the James P. Johnson set will be reprinted, but he couldn't say yet when. The Clifford Jordan is still a "maybe". 

I already placed an order for Clifford Jordan. I suggest anyone who's interested in that box should do the same. Maybe they're waiting to see what the demand is before ordering another run.

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

I already placed an order for Clifford Jordan. I suggest anyone who's interested in that box should do the same. Maybe they're waiting to see what the demand is before ordering another run.

Proud to have been a member of the James P Johnson pressure group with my order already placed.  Great Success!  This might actually have been my first successful effort in that realm.

As a proud owner of the Clifford Jordan Strata East set, all I can say is that this set really needs to be available and I urge everyone who is on the fence to place an order.  I love this set.

17 hours ago, medjuck said:

Maybe I misunderstand (I often do) but shouldn't  you order them before they're back in print to encourage them to print them?  There's no risk since they don't charge you until they ship. 

Yes. I ordered it last week. Haven't previously ordered backordered sets because I couldn't see the point but now it seems to be an important sign of encouragement to reprint.

I'm unsure about the Clifford Jordan. How avant garde is it? I'm not allergic to free jazz but it isn't my favourite and I try to keep it to a minimum.

1 hour ago, crisp said:

Yes. I ordered it last week. Haven't previously ordered backordered sets because I couldn't see the point but now it seems to be an important sign of encouragement to reprint.

I'm unsure about the Clifford Jordan. How avant garde is it? I'm not allergic to free jazz but it isn't my favourite and I try to keep it to a minimum.

I have similar tastes and I have been enjoying Jordan's "Glass Bead Games" for years. I just ordered this Mosaic set to see if the rest of it is as good.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

No, I wouldn't call anything on the Jordan box free, but some does venture into the avant-garde woods. Glass Bead Games is a classic record. It's a great set made more varied than some because of the many leaders. Jordan isn't even on one or two of the dates. Is this the first time Sonny Sharrock has been on a Mosaic? Don Cherry on two dates too - love that man.

On 5/11/2017 at 11:23 AM, Scott Dolan said:

I'm actually wondering when the fetishists and hipsters will be clamoring for their very own Edison Phonograph and wax cylinders. 

Ever seen an Archeophone?

https://shop.78rpm.com/index.php?id_product=6&controller=product

https://www.archeophone.org/windex.php

(although, admittedly, these are probably used more by professional archives than hipsters, not least because of the price)

1 hour ago, Dave Garrett said:

Ever seen an Archeophone?

https://shop.78rpm.com/index.php?id_product=6&controller=product

https://www.archeophone.org/windex.php

(although, admittedly, these are probably used more by professional archives than hipsters, not least because of the price)

In the meantime, this ...

http://archeophone.com/catalogue/

.. will have to do to approach the subejct (at least in name). :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

14 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Responding to Mosaic's email reporting the uncertainty of their future, I ordered the two sets that I do not own:  Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney.  I would rather have ordered the proposed Teddy Wilson but thought that ordering these was to some extent "doing my part."  

The Rosemary Clooney set is pretty nice. Some of the organ backing is a bit twee but her singing is very enjoyable and classy and the Mosaic set did it's job for me by highlighting a substantial talent that I wasn't really aware of.

No doubt I will pick up the Bing, if/when it comes back.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Rosemary Clooney set is pretty nice. Some of the organ backing is a bit twee but her singing is very enjoyable and classy and the Mosaic set did it's job for me by highlighting a substantial talent that I wasn't really aware of.

No doubt I will pick up the Bing, if/when it comes back.

Hello- I got a shipping notification on the Bing Crosby yesterday.