Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On May 12, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Responding to Mosaic's email reporting the uncertainty of their future, I ordered the two sets that I do not own:  Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney.  I would rather have ordered the proposed Teddy Wilson but thought that ordering these was to some extent "doing my part."  

Hopefully this burst of orders will increase the likelihood of the Wilson set coming to pass. 

If nothing else, the surge in sales resultant from the recent communication reinforces to me that it's all about one thing for Mosaic - the music.  They could easily take whatever money there is from this surge and run.  Instead, they are using it to reorder back ordered sets - and we've seen plenty of announcements relative to that - Savoy, JPJ, Mingus, Armstrong Decca, Bing, Benny Goodman, Mingus.

I started a separate thread about the future of Mosaic, but if the mods want to roll it into this one, that is fine with me.

So I just got the shipping notice for 3 of the 4 sets I ordered last week. Of course, the shipping confirmation has the wrong address! What the... I checked my order confirmation e-mail and it's correct. How did they get it wrong? My guess is that their ordering computer system and their shipping computer system are not linked properly. So now my old house will be receiving a large box of Mosaic boxes because my forwarding ran out months ago.

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

So I just got the shipping notice for 3 of the 4 sets I ordered last week. Of course, the shipping confirmation has the wrong address! What the... I checked my order confirmation e-mail and it's correct. How did they get it wrong? My guess is that their ordering computer system and their shipping computer system are not linked properly. So now my old house will be receiving a large box of Mosaic boxes because my forwarding ran out months ago.

And see...this is what gets me asking the question of if the operation would just hire some kid to make sure their technology was all linked up and working efficiently, if maybe at least one portion of this drama could be rendered obsolete towards a positive outcome. You know, somebody in the area is a longtime customer and they got a nephew or a grandson who's a whiz with the computers, I can get him to come by once a week and make everything's cooking with gas, something like that. Oh Freddie, that would be great, how much would he charge, ah Mikey/Scotty, don't worry about it, he's my brohter's kid and I've just loaned him some money for a car, he's a good kid, he can work it of by working for you, and then you got shit working all modern and stupid shit like orders not going out for a whole week and addresses not being synced up and all that shit goes away, Maybe the kid gets lucky and gets a jazz girlfriend by saying, yeah, I work at Mosaic, you want a Dean Benedetti set, I can get you a Dean Benedetti set, Babe, and she's like, oh have my children, please, and he says, we;ll, I'm not ready for that, but let's start practicing, and she gets that it's a sly Louis Armstrong paraphrased riff, and WHOOPEE, problems solved.

Or something like that.

According to the Mosaic site the Bing Crosy, James P. Johnson, Clifford Jordan, Charles Mingus and Stanley Turrentine sets are expected to be available again in July 2017. The Louis Armstrong, Lester Young/Count Basie and Savoy sets are expected to be back in June, the MJQ set this month (May).

Mosaic

Edited by J.A.W.

3 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

According to the Mosaic site the Bing Crosy, James P. Johnson, Clifford Jordan, Charles Mingus and Stanley Turrentine sets are expected to be available again in July 2017. The Louis Armstrong, Lester Young/Count Basie and Savoy sets are expected to be back in June, the MJQ set this month (May).

Mosaic has been working Saturday and Sunday to fullfill orders and update the website. With the JPJ and Savoy coming  back to the catalogue I can still get all the sets I would like to have.

All this certainly sharpened our awareness that Mosaic might not be around forever and urged us to shift our spendings towards their catalogue - at least that's what I decided. I got the Hines, the Pass is under way, andI will get the others I want, one every month, instead of buying CDs from other sellers. On the top of my list are Jamal, Turrentine, JPJ, and Young/Basie.

Edited by mikeweil

Yes I would like that Jamal box too Mike.

I'll be ordering more this week and I'm searching for some of the vinyl boxes elsewhere and getting what's left from Mosaic. Some vinyl set just vanished without warning from the site; if there was a warning, the Sunship and Brownie sets sure went quickly.

I never received a tracking number. After I ordered the Benedetti online, I received a notification that the order had been delivered to shipping but due to a back up it could take 5-7 days before shipment. I received the package 4 days later.  My hunch is that they are so overwhelmed with orders that the normal process is a bit strained. That said, I'm just happy the lights are staying on a little longer in Stamford.

Mosaic doesn't seem to be as diligent about sending tracking numbers as they used to be.  It seems for my last three or four orders I only received a shipping notification.  A couple of times I sent a follow up email asking for the tracking number, which they did then included in a reply email.

Edited by trane123

1 hour ago, ElginThompson said:

I never received a tracking number. After I ordered the Benedetti online, I received a notification that the order had been delivered to shipping but due to a back up it could take 5-7 days before shipment. I received the package 4 days later.  My hunch is that they are so overwhelmed with orders that the normal process is a bit strained. That said, I'm just happy the lights are staying on a little longer in Stamford.

What date did you receive that email? Mine came two Sundays ago, 5/7. 

9 hours ago, mikeweil said:

All this certainly sharpened our awareness that Mosaic might not be around forever and urged us to shift our spendings towards their catalogue - at least that's what I decided. I got the Hines, the Pass is under way, andI will get the others I want, one every month, instead of buying CDs from other sellers. On the top of my list are Jamal, Turrentine, JPJ, and Young/Basie.

I am going to do the same thing, buy from Mosaic regularly instead of from other sellers, until I have all of the sets that I want.

In terms of tracking numbers and shipping details, this is a company which almost went out of business. I think we need to cut them some slack. They may have had to lay off their clerical staff. If we like Mosaic and want them to survive, I think we cannot complain too much about their process right now.

On 5/14/2017 at 0:36 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I called Mosaic this morning and got to talk to Scott. It would seem that the on-line ordering system is not linked to either their shipping computer system nor their internal order tracking system. Luckily, I got hold of Scott before my order was shipped and he was able to change my address in the shipping system.

Now I'm thinking... I used a new credit card too. Hmmm... did they have my old card on file?

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

I am going to do the same thing, buy from Mosaic regularly instead of from other sellers, until I have all of the sets that I want.

In terms of tracking numbers and shipping details, this is a company which almost went out of business. I think we need to cut them some slack. They may have had to lay off their clerical staff. If we like Mosaic and want them to survive, I think we cannot complain too much about their process right now.

While I agree that we should not complain too much about the service from a company that is likely short-staffed right now, I disagree that we shouldn't be unhappy with the fact that their system, as set up, can cause waste, something that needs to avoided if this company wants to stay alive.

If I hadn't caught Mosaic's shipping error, they would have shipped my order to the wrong house. At a minimum, they'd be out of the money they spent to ship it. Worse case, it gets to my old house and the owner keeps it. Then, they would have been out of the shipping cost as well as the cost of the now "lost" boxes. This will not keep them in business for much longer.

58 minutes ago, erwbol said:

If you place an order at Mosaic containing both a back ordered (supposedly back in June) and an already available set they will wait until both sets are in stock for the order to ship internationally, right? 

Not necessarily. I ordered Benedetti and then the next day the Savoy set. Benedetti arrived. Savoy is back ordered.

57 minutes ago, ElginThompson said:

Not necessarily. I ordered Benedetti and then the next day the Savoy set. Benedetti arrived. Savoy is back ordered.

I should email Mosaic to be sure then, otherwise I would end up paying more on customs duty if the order ships as two parcels.