Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

I imagine that they have to show a profit to stay in business (as with most businesses). Although I'm sure that they showed improved sales lately (due to the concern they might go out of business), I don't believe that issuing one or two sets per year will be sufficient to allow them to keep operating. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Maybe they will just slow down and reduce to one, maybe two new sets each year. I agree the CD boom era might be over, but who knows?

Well, actually everyone should know. The CD boom era was over more than a decade ago. Currently, CD sales are next to nonexistent. 

Oh, of course. I don't think any physical formats that were long time industry standards like LP and CD once were will ever completely disappear. 

It's really akin to Classical and Jazz as music genres. They'll never completely disappear, but they'll never be anywhere near as popular as they were in days gone by. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It does not seem to have the same mission or output of the original Handmade. 

You said earlier that the "Handmade" series "is no longer"; that is not correct - it may be different now (I don't follow it), but it's still there.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm not disputing you Hans or trying to argue with you. I had read elsewhere Handmade was gone. When I did a web search old links to Rhino for "Handmade" came back "this page is no longer active." Following the link you provided it looks as if Handmade is back in a very different form.  

I bet a Sanslusukan company led by Georgey Girrle comes up and copies their sets on the Renal label and puts a sticker on it that says "For Discriminating Transplant Recipients Only". Then they'll flood the market with those sets.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I'm not a friend either, least not yet. If you look at the left of his page, the first entry under "Intro" says "Former President of Mosaic Records."

Weird, I don't have an Intro link. Home, About, Photos ... No Intro.

In last week's Sunday Gazette there were still two entries by MC (one referring to GoM's Nightlights, the other to Ethan Iverson's blog - nothing new there)... but: this Sunday, the Gazette seems to be delayed....

edit: but there is a new edition on their website, including more links set by MC... if he's the former president, that must be very recent

Edited by Niko

On 29/06/2017 at 8:09 AM, Captain Howdy said:

If today's kids are like I was, they use music as a sort of fashion accessory or lifestyle choice. You can't make them like jazz or classical music by educating them; you have to show them how it can enhance their lifestyle or distinguish themselves as someone of superior taste. Something like that. 

This. 

No one has mentioned the swing dance scene. It's young (mostly 20-30 somethings), growing, global and they are geeking out to Lester Young and Johnny Hodges and Jimmie Lunceford. Its fun and social and helps bring an identity to those that feel left out of the mainstream. It's nowhere large enough to rescue jazz reissue projects, but it's helping re-energise the musicians who play in that realm and bringing a younger crowd to vintage jazz. 

8 hours ago, SwingItTrev said:

This. 

No one has mentioned the swing dance scene. It's young (mostly 20-30 somethings), growing, global and they are geeking out to Lester Young and Johnny Hodges and Jimmie Lunceford. Its fun and social and helps bring an identity to those that feel left out of the mainstream. It's nowhere large enough to rescue jazz reissue projects, but it's helping re-energise the musicians who play in that realm and bringing a younger crowd to vintage jazz. 

Indeed. Flourishes (on an admittedly limited scale) over here too (ever since its outburst in the mid-90s) and it IS fun and very worthy of encouragement. And it introduces people to jazz (centered on PARTNER-dancable jazz styles, of course, but there's nothing wrong with that anyway).

I had wondered about this aspect in this discussion too but had refrained from bringing it up (I did it before elsewhere) because you know there'd invariably be those who consider al this "old hat" "imitation", "superficial" - whatever high-brow, snobbish attitudes there are out there ... ;) There is far more to this than that, though, as long as it introduces people to one or the other style of jazz (which it does), reminding everyone willing to learnand listen that today's jazz need NOT be all "far out" at all if it is to be labeled "jazz". There ARE more strains and styles in jazz than that, even today, and as long as there are bands that play the music (and make it EVOLVE because outside "dixieland" the days of copycats are largely over anyway) even those "older" styles of jazz will continue, even if only on a niche scale.

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

This reminds me of an interview I heard somewhere (probably NPR) with a presumably white woman who was teaching swing dancing and had recruited an old Lindyhopper whose name I can't remember but must have been Norma Miller. Miller was really ornery and kept saying things like "you can't teach people to swing dance; you either have it in you or you don't", and "white people steal everything." Her ostensible partner was obviously flustered. It made for a pretty amusing interview.

I've witnessed programs where Norma Miller appeared in those circles of lindy hop dancing clubs, teachers and fans, giving on-stage interviews etc., and she seemed very supportive of that scene.

Not to forget Frankie Manning who went out of his way to teach and encourage generations of dancers (who could have been his grand-children) at events and dance camps almost everywhere with incredible stamina almost up to the day he died in his mid-90s.

So no need to be condescending about that subculture ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

What's maybe being missed is Cuscuna's, and particularly Wenzel's with the older stuff, race against time to get comprehensive, perhaps definitive, issues of so many things into the digital domain for posterity. I'm sure they realize that not a lot of people are going to buy this stuff right away, but they also realize that once they put it out, it'll stay there in some form or fashion for perpetuity, or at least as long as a digital media paradigm will have it's perpetuity.

8 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Seems as though the neo Swing thing here in the U.S. came and went in the 90's. 

Maybe I'm just missing out... ? 

Ah, you're confusing neo swing (the rock-infused attempt at jump blues that fueled the late 90's mainstream interest in swing) with the continued lindy hop scene, which is still very much alive and kicking and frowns upon the musical taste of its teenage years. :)

I'm not sure whether you're missing out, but chances are if you tell us where-ish in the US you live, we can point you to a weekly dance to go check out, and possibly several. Some have bands, though the greater part use DJ'ed music.