Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I hope that at least the Teddy Wilson set emerges from the flames.  Last time I asked Scott about it (several weeks ago), he sounded optimistic that it would come out.

Yeah, I wondered when I saw the news about the Benedetti set whether we'd see the Wilson. Hope, hope!

gregmo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Yeah, I wondered when I saw the news about the Benedetti set whether we'd see the Wilson. Hope, hope!

gregmo

At the end of Scott's note about the Chick Webb video he says: "Stay tuned for more Teddy Wilson on Mosaic!!"
Since it's kind of buried, hard to know if that statement still holds true.

Hard to know what to make of all this. On the one hand the Benedetti set is being phased out and 'bluenotesound' is putting all those sets on ebay. On the other hand there is the encouraging statement on the Teddy Wilson and those backorder sets being repressed.  Very mixed messages.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Mixed, indeed:  "repressed" or "re-pressed"....  What a difference a dash makes. ;)

Ha - blame my keyboard for that !

In any event - just put in an order for the James P. and also the Mulligan Emarcy LPs before they become MIA.

Edited by sidewinder

As I say in the other "death of Mosaic" thread, if production of the Teddy Wilson set is far enough down the line it may make financial sense to see it through. I'm optimistic enough to believe that we could see a few more new sets beyond that one for the same reason. 

I'll be disappointed if the fold, but I won't be surprised.

To be honest, though, as attractive as the potential Teddy Wilson set is, I'm not sure if I'll be in a place to pounce on its price point, a little too much justification to relevant/impacted parties needed.

A well-done Bill Barron set, though...I could justify that one to anybody, including god.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'll be disappointed if the fold, but I won't be surprised.

To be honest, though, as attractive as the potential Teddy Wilson set is, I'm not sure if I'll be in a place to pounce on its price point, a little too much justification to relevant/impacted parties needed.

A well-done Bill Barron set, though...I could justify that one to anybody, including god.

The Hodges Verves, damn it. The Hodges Verves!!

gregmo

Edited by gmonahan

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Hard to know what to make of all this. On the one hand the Benedetti set is being phased out and 'bluenotesound' is putting all those sets on ebay. On the other hand there is the encouraging statement on the Teddy Wilson and those backorder sets being repressed.  Very mixed messages.

Regarding the re-pressing of sets, here's my take.

The announcement a couple of months ago caused an avalanche of sales which capialized the re-pressing of sets with sufficient orders placed against their back ordered status to justify limited runs of those sets.  I do believe that Mosaic realizes that just closing up shop with so many sets on back order would be a pretty shitty thing to do, as so many of their clients depend on the last chance process to help them decide when to pick up a set.  

My guess is that those sets had enough orders to justify a run of 250 sets. The sets that remain after back orders are filled will be allowed to dwindle and go through the last chance process.

My only conjecture related to the Goodman and Turrentine sets is that they did not or have not made the cut insofar as demand goes relative to their backordered status.  I know that until the "JPJ Pressure Group " formed, I was unaware that ordering the set while back ordered could impact a re-pressing decision.  That set was originally thought to be doubtful.  Then, as orders piled up, I think they changed their mind.  

Personally, if I had questions related to their status, I would contact Scott.  I did relative to the JPJ and Mingus and was told they were not likely.  Several weeks later, Scott emailed me to let me know that the decision was made to re-press them.  

Still hoping for the Wilson and a trickle of Mosaic sets going forward.

Another data point mentioned above strikes me as relevant … prices realized for many open-bid sets on eBay are about half the average “buy it now” asking prices.  And the used supply of Mosaic sets clusters around near-mint condition; these were bought and treated almost as heirlooms.  The demand curve is dropping, and the supply curve rising as older CD collectors downsize (or leave the building). 

In addition to swimming against the non-physical stream, Mosaic is competing with their past output.  Those still buying have their pick of much of the back catalogue at pricing similar to the in-print.

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

They may own it, but  it doesn't mean they have to keep it in print indefinitely. Once the sets they currently have in stock run out, they won't be repressing it. That's my guess, anyway. 

That is definitely the "no big deal" interpretation - they've offered it damn near forever now, surelyy had a surge of orders when the worrisome news came out, and have made a reasonable determination that at this time its reached market saturation and there aren't enough future orders to justify a re-stock order.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

Perhaps, but you have to admit the timing is curious. If they did simply determine they'd reached market saturation, why now?

Because they don't have the working capital to justify a re-stock of what has been for a long time a slow seller. And because the issue never came up before because stock never fell this low.

• 2 weeks later...

Well some good came from the Mosaic panic:  I wanted to help out and buy a couple of sets so when  several of you highly  recommended Henry Threadgill so I took your suggestion and am I ever happy I did.  This is a great music. (Though I have to admit I'm not nuts about the session that was released here for the first time-- but otherwise I live it. ) 

247.jpg

I finally, finally picked up my copies of the Basie/Young and Beehive sets (bought when the alarming email circulated).  Just starting to listen to them now.  Some really great music obviously. 

I will note that on my Beehive set the middle CD in each case has the teeth of death (basically worse than I've seen before).  So be warned.  Even knowing this is an issue and trying to shave the teeth down, I'm still pretty sure I'll end up cracking one of the discs.  I plan to rip the box, and then will probably never take it out again.