Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

Thanks for letting us know about the Beehive box CD teeth problem.  I have already had a problem with the Earl Hines set.  What is the best recommendation for how to "shave down" the teeth?  I have tried to use a nail clipper to poke out or bend some of the teeth but there must be a better way.  Any advice appreciated!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Thanks for letting us know about the Beehive box CD teeth problem.  I have already had a problem with the Earl Hines set.  What is the best recommendation for how to "shave down" the teeth?  I have tried to use a nail clipper to poke out or bend some of the teeth but there must be a better way.  Any advice appreciated!

I am not sure I can visualize the problem accurately because I do not have these boxes (or other Mosaics incriminated for this before) but I have enocuntered similar problems with other boxes and jewel cases before where I had to press down like mad on the teeth (i.e. the center) with my thumb and at the same time forcibly pull up the CD to release it, bending it dangerously in the process (fearing indeed it might break). My method (if several removal and replacing operations did not improve matters): After having removed the CD I took some fine-grain sanding paper, held it with the tips of three fingers and rubbed down the teeth by rotating the sanding paper around the teeth. At certain intervals I checked impoved "ease" of removal using an old CD (or CD-R) that didn't matter. When the removal force was acceptable I cleaned up everything and put the actual CD back where it belonged.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I recently got the Bee-Hive set too, and although I was a little trepidatious about doing so, I did break off two (2) teeth on each of those inside spindels, with a pair of needle nose pliars, and it works like a charm, perfectly.

Two teeth alone still grip like a mofo, but it's WAY easier to get the discs out. With the needle nose, it took about 2-3 minutes total to fix all four boxes. No regrets, and quite as easy solution. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Thanks!  I will visit the hardware store and find some fine-grain sanding paper.  This sounds better than what I have been doing (essentially breaking one or two of the teeth).

It worked for me (you have to go easy on it and clean everything well afterwards) but if Rooster_Ties manged to accomplish the desired result just by breaking two of the individual teeth on this very same set then this might be the easier route for you in this particular case.

5 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

Thanks for the tips fellas. I may grab the needle nose plyers myself since I experienced the same difficulties. I haven't even listened to disc 2 of the Beehive set because of the fear of snapping the disc. That's crazy.

Yes, beware: I snapped disc 3 of the Basie/ Lester Studio Sessions. Scott kindly replaced it for me. Mosaic must be aware there is a problem.  Q

About those needle-nose pliers and removing individual teeth, I must admit I am a bit wary of this (which probably was what made me try the "sanding down" trick). I have every now and then had problems with CDs bought new through mail order that arrived here with several of these teeth broken off the jewel case hub, causing the CD to float around inside and the remains of the teeth somewhere inside the case. Annoying, particularly if it happens on multiple-CD cases ... On rare occasions this even occurred on sealed CDs (shoddy packaging?) but in other cases (new, but not sealed) I have a feeling this happened with sellers normally storing their CDs and inlay paperwork inside thin clear plastic CD envelopes and only puttng them back in jewel cases when mailing them out (I know one seller I ordered from has this habit - he also has a record stall at certain concerts/festivals and this is how he displays his goods). Apparently there are sellers out there who are rather heavy-handed when pushing the CD back on the prongs of the case and couldn't care less when some of them snap.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I have encountered the same problems. What makes things worse is that the replacement cases you can buy are made from thinner plastic than those the manufacturing plants use. I once bought a set of five empty 4-CD boxes and broke three right away when opening them for the first time. It's become hard to get decent replacement cases.

Just picked up my Savoy set from the post depot -- with an eye-watering (and spouse-rousing) customs charge of more than £36! Unusually, Mosaic (or their outsoursed shipping company) declared the full value on the box. When the customs is in itself as much as the cost of another box set I have to question the validity of buying these.

Oh well, only a few (plus the Teddy Wilson) to go...

1 hour ago, crisp said:

Just picked up my Savoy set from the post depot -- with an eye-watering (and spouse-rousing) customs charge of more than £36! Unusually, Mosaic (or their outsoursed shipping company) declared the full value on the box. When the customs is in itself as much as the cost of another box set I have to question the validity of buying these.

Oh well, only a few (plus the Teddy Wilson) to go...

Why not get your Mosaics from Jazz Messengers in Barcelona? As long as the UK is still a member of the EU you won't have to pay customs charges that way and there are no shipping charges within the EU.

Mosaic sets at Jazz Messengers

Edited by J.A.W.

I second the recommendation - you save at least the customs fees. Jazz Messengers has to make some money on selling these sets, but the price I paid was about the same as if ordering from Mosaic with lowest shipping rate, without import taxes or similar due to buying within the EU.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:39 AM, Sandman said:

I also had a problem with the Hines set and thankfully Scott sent me a replacement disc. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I also had a problem with the Hines set and thankfully Scott sent me a replacement disc. 

Yes, those teeth hold the CD's very tight. My solution is simple and works very well. I use the thumb and forefinger of my left hand to gently squeeze the teeth inward. That seems to release the pressure just enough so that I can quite easily remove the CD with my right hand. Never had any breakage. 

Edited by John Tapscott