Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I received my order from the upcoming open house sale. The Woody Shaw CBS set, which I had neglected to buy. Hope to get to it this weekend after I finish transcribing and editing my interview with Jim McNeely.

If you don't/can't get a copy of the Woody Shaw CBS set, I've got one I'd be glad to send you (in excellent shape).  I don't have a specific price in mind, but I would donate EVERY penny directly to Jim for running this board (you can pay him (the board) directly).  So while I might haggle to at least get something reasonable for it -- it wouldn't be for my own benefit -- only the benefit of the Big O Board (and I'll even throw in the cost of shipping myself).

On 14/03/2018 at 6:35 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I was notified that a Mosaic order shipped yesterday. If you can't attend the open house that is coming soon, ask about getting a partial list of what they have available. Michael Cuscuna read my post here and emailed me a list, which I greatly appreciate. I guess that the Teddy Wilson is en route.

I asked for one but didn’t hear back.:huh:

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I just noticed that another set has dropped off the Last Chance list and in now OOP.  It was an LP set but not sure which one - The Getz perhaps?  At any rate, Mosaic now lists 20 active sets - all of them in print.  There are 4 sets running low and 2 in last chance.

I checked Wayback Machine from last year.  On January 6, 2017 -  they had 35 active sets.  2 sets were in last chance and 3 sets were running low.

Looks to me that if they are planning on staying in business - which from all appearances they are - with 2 new sets shipping very soon - they appear to be trying to reduce on hand inventory to reduce costs. My guess is that they will consider:

• Continue to allow the number of active sets  decrease by slowing the pace of new sets. 
  • For new sets, carefully control the on hand inventory by having less sets printed initially
  • For re-pressings, they will take a long look at sales and sales projections before doing any re-pressings.
  • This will dramatically reduce the storage space required for on hand inventory which will lower costs associated with leasing space.  Hell - does anyone know how big Michael Cuscuna's basement is?  He seems to be selling  stuff on Ebay all the time
  • Look at in-sourcing the shipping to further reduce overhead
  • Consider subscription service to guarantee access to sets
  • Look at more LP sets, though they once again appear to be phasing them out.

At least those are some of the things I'd be looking at if I wanted to stay in business.

Sorry, that was me. I edited my post. Because of a private message from a member here I was unsure if Mosaic wanted the list publicly published, and the last thing I would want to do is act outside of their desire. They are my absolute favorite record label as I'm sure they are for a lot of people on this board. J.A.W. posted the link with the available products a few posts up and I know from previous posts he is very careful not to put out anything Mosaic doesn't want released. So hopefully no harm no foul.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

No probs Jordan.

Got the list details from Scott yesterday. Mentioned that they were very appreciative of the support from friends on this board and sends his regards.

What's unusual is that Mosaic's E-mail from yesterday specifically mentions, " We are in the process of sorting out and assembling a number of Mosaic collectibles (no lists are yet compiled or available)." It would seem that they are only sending out a list to people who ask and live too far away to be able to attend the open house sale in CT. If they wanted a list published, I think that they'd have published it.