Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 21/03/2018 at 2:27 PM, mjzee said:

There is an eBay seller named 78scott who is selling mint Mosaics with very low set #s.  The item location for these sets is Rye, NY.  See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/78scott/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Some of these are ‘signed by producer’ so either Ricky or Scott - hence odds on it’s Scott W. 

Edited by sidewinder

I went to the open house today.  I hadn't been to these offices before but they are smaller than the prior ones.  I'm glad I went as they had a lot of different things. 

They had a few partial sets and a few out of print sets; I nabbed the Quincy Jones set.  In addition, they had some single cds from previously issued sets,  I purchased a CD (the only ones available) from the early Bechet set, a Teagarden CD and a cd from the Akiyoshi and Tabackin Select. 

You could also purchase the book from their previously issued sets; I wound up purchasing eight of them, including the book from the Tina Brooks and Basie Roulette Studio sets.  They have an amazing inventory of the older booklets. For example, they must have had six or seven copies of the Basie one so I picked out the best one.  In my opinion, that was the best thing about going.  I'm surprised they don't put them on eBay or sell them off the web site.  

They had Japanese CDs of Blue Notes for only $12 per but I passed on them.  Figured I'd spent enough.  They were also selling a variety of CDs from different companies.  There was also some "best of" recordings of Blue Notes issued by a Japanese company in a long box.  As I had most of them I passed.  They also had many, many slicks; I picked up the Powell one.  They were also selling prints and if you wanted ones on the wall, they would sell them too.  There were also non-Mosaic LPs and books (including Blue Note postcards; probably should purchased that but didn't. 

Of course, you could also buy current Mosaics and I wound up purchasing the Basie Lester Young Studio.

I wouldn't say it was overly crowded but the people who were there weren't skimping on money :D

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

Who's to say that won't work?

If given better, I will do better. Until then, I will wait for Cuscuna to step up to the plate one last time in a home run of glory for the Mosaic of yore, who would do stuff like that because it needed to be done before it couldn't be done.

To be blunt - I will get the Savory set, but all this pre-bop sets with out anything else in the mix...i'm probably going to save enough money to buy multiple copies of the Bill Barron set, whoever puts it out legitly.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Brad - Great report and sounds like the open house was lots of fun.

I’ve managed to bundle a few things in with an order for the new Teddy Wilson set, with Scott’s kind assistance.

Thanks. I should have taken a few photos.  Brain fart!  I was looking for the new Wilson set since you could see everything and walk anywhere but didn't see it. Should have asked Scott.  I will pick it up at Jazz Bash in late June.  

Well yesterday I made my pilgrimage of sorts to Stamford from Baltimore (about a 4 hour drive each way, not too bad). A great experience. Got to talk to Scott and Michael which was really nice. Turns out Scott and I are both Towson graduates which was neat to find out. He said they need more young people like me getting into the music (I’m 32, so not really all that young but hey thanks).

I’ll also say there’s quite a bit more than what’s on the circulating list, especially in the partial sets department, so if you have the opportunity, do stop in. I ended up purchasing a copy of the Basie Clef/Verve set (amazing, listened to the first 4 discs on the drive back), the HRS sessions and an incomplete Earl Hines set. Would have bought more but cash is always tight with a young family. Scott said that this was all part of the master plan to keep the business viable and I think every single person that stopped in said they hope there’s still a long future for the company. He also said the Teddy Wilson set sounds amazing and that the preorders should be finished being shipped out next week which has already been mentioned on the board. Very excited for that one to arrive.

Scott confirmed that my order would go out by end of next week so that jibes with the timing per the above for the Teddy Wilson set.

’Pilgrimage’ sums it up well Jordan. It would be ahead of the likes of Santiago de Compostela on my list. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Scott confirmed that my order would go out by end of next week so that jibes with the timing per the above for the Teddy Wilson set.

’Pilgrimage’ sums it up well Jordan. It would be ahead of the likes of Santiago de Compostela on my list. :lol:

I’ll be waiting a while longer for mine to ship with the Savory set📀. It’ll be worth the wait. 

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just noticed that the latest Jazzmessengers catalogue is listing both the Wilson and Savory sets so that is now an option over this side of the pond. I’ll probably go that route with the Savory.

Just searched their site high and low but did not see the Savory set. Where did you find it?

Seems like they only list the sets on their website they actually have in stock - the James P. Johnson was gone after I had ordered my copy but was back on a week later when they received a few more copies. As soon after they have the Wilson in stock, they will list it. Hope they get the Turrentine along with it. 

I took the trip to Mosaic this afternoon.  It is located on the second floor of nondescript building in an industrial park. The office/warehouse is not very large at all.  It is sparsely furnished with  desks for staff and shelving for the product. There was also an audio system near one of the desks.

About 6 to 9 full Hank Mobley sets were available and discounted because the shrink wrap on certain the cds had been removed.  The Savoy Be-Bop and Dial sets were on sale as complete sets and discounted for open shrink wrap.  I saw a partial Nat King Cole set that was available.  I saw that there appeared to be some complete Sun Ship Sessions lp sets still available.  I also spotted some of the Mulligan Sextet lp sets still available.  Several selects were available -- John Patton, Don Pullen, Duke Pearson, Sam Rivers Orchestra, Tolliver Big Band, and others -- there was only one of each. There were also numerous photographs available -- some were particularly pricey.  There were dozens and dozens of booklets and Mosaic catalogues available.  There were also several Blue Note SHM cds available.

At one point while I was there, Michael Cuscuna played what I believed to be a Monk Live at the It Club test pressing on a turntable.  It sounded fabulous.  I spoke with Scott Wenzel on my way out.  I asked him about Mosaic's prospects.  He sounded guarded, but gave Mosaic a positive prognosis. 

Edited by sonnyhill

13 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

I took the trip to Mosaic this afternoon.  It is located on the second floor of nondescript building in an industrial park. The office/warehouse is not very large at all.  It is sparsely furnished with  desks for staff and shelving for the product. There was also an audio system near one of the desks.

About 6 to 9 full Hank Mobley sets were available and discounted because the shrink wrap on certain the cds had been removed.  The Savoy Be-Bop and Dial sets were on sale as complete sets and discounted for open shrink wrap.  I saw a partial Nat King Cole set that was available.  I saw that there appeared to be some complete Sun Ship Sessions lp sets still available.  I also spotted some of the Mulligan Sextet lp sets still available.  Several selects were available -- John Patton, Don Pullen, Duke Pearson, Sam Rivers Orchestra, Tolliver Big Band, and others -- there was only one of each. There were also numerous photographs available -- some were particularly pricey.  There were dozens and dozens of booklets and Mosaic catalogues available.  There were also several Blue Note SHM cds available.

At one point while I was there, Michael Cuscuna played what I believed to be a Monk Live at the It Club test pressing on a turntable.  It sounded fabulous.  I spoke with Scott Wenzel on my way out.  I asked him about Mosaic's prospects.  He sounded guarded, but gave Mosaic a positive prognosis. 

How much were the asking for the Selects?  I could use the Pearson at a reasonabe price.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, sonnyhill said:

Damn. Rivers Orchestra and Tolliver Big Band are Selects I really want...but no way I could have made the trip.

I may be way off, but I remember most of the selects missing a disc. But as mjzee said, Scott has been super helpful to me so I’m sure he won’t mind helping you.

54 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Send an email to Scott @ Mosaic.  He'll ship them to you, as long as he still has them.