Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, mjzee said:

Send an email to Scott @ Mosaic.  He'll ship them to you, as long as he still has them.

I e-mailed the Mosaic info address.

Both MC and Scott kindly and quickly (esp. considering they likely thought it a dumbass inquiry ^_^) replied. There was only one copy of each Select (Tolliver, Rivers big bands), and they sold. I expected as much, so did not ask whether they were complete sets.

Edited by T.D.

I always wondered how the partial sets were produced, manufacturers, error, returns of defective parts?  I remember 20 years ago when I got the Mobley set I requested a new disc 6 to swap out a badly damaged one, and they were so prompt, but I always wondered how a proliferation of partial sets occurred.

That could be the answer as perhaps they only make enough cds to fill a set.  On the other hand, they may also make extra sets because in the normal course there will be a certain amount of spoilage.  

When i was there I saw groups of cds marked as disc 1, disc 3, etc. for particular sets. 

7 hours ago, Brad said:

That could be the answer as perhaps they only make enough cds to fill a set.  On the other hand, they may also make extra sets because in the normal course there will be a certain amount of spoilage.  

When i was there I saw groups of cds marked as disc 1, disc 3, etc. for particular sets. 

Ahh ok, that makes sense.  I wonder if the labels will license the material used for Mosaic sets for streeaming and such.  I remember OOP Selects on Spotify several years ago

55 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Ahh ok, that makes sense.  I wonder if the labels will license the material used for Mosaic sets for streeaming and such.  I remember OOP Selects on Spotify several years ago

48 minutes ago, Brad said:

I remember early in this thread someone asked about streaming Mosaics and I recall the answer from Michael Cuscuna as no. 

It has indeed been discussed before. Mosaic's licenses are for CD reissues only, they aren't allowed by the licensing labels to sell downloads or stream sets.

Edited by J.A.W.

Interesting... so did Spotify obtain the Bobby Hutcherson Select illegally?  I regret selling that years ago b/c I never played it much. I always liked Spotify for streaming new music but never as a substitute for serious listening.  I found many things, as are Amazon's AutoRip some things are badly encoded (Keith Jarrett "Testament" for example, the piano sounds wavy like a badly encoded 90's MP3)

30 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Interesting... so did Spotify obtain the Bobby Hutcherson Select illegally?  I regret selling that years ago b/c I never played it much. I always liked Spotify for streaming new music but never as a substitute for serious listening.  I found many things, as are Amazon's AutoRip some things are badly encoded (Keith Jarrett "Testament" for example, the piano sounds wavy like a badly encoded 90's MP3)

EMI/Capital put out several Mosaic Selects on iTunes without identifying them as such.  (IIRC they also gave each  collection a title different than the one Mosaic used.)

6 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Ahh I see!!!!  So that must have been done on Spotify as well.

I think they were called The Capital Vault Series and were all owned by Capital/Emi.  Wow I just looked them up. There are 16 of them and they include some larger boxes.  Prices are all over the place.  $11.99 for the Dexter Select, $89.99 for the Bobby Hackett. 

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I think they were called The Capital Vault Series and were all owned by Capital/Emi.  Wow I just looked them up. There are 16 of them and they include some larger boxes.  Prices are all over the place.  $11.99 for the Dexter Select, $89.99 for the Bobby Hackett. 

Yes I remember that Capitol Vault Series series line.  $89.99 for a download? Crazy.  No thanks, give me the full package any day.  Downloads, I have Blakey's "Mosaic", from HDTracks sounds great, but the $17.98 without a PDF of the liners or anything was a bit too much.

Edited by CJ Shearn

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I don’t use Spotify but wonder if Spotify is legally permitted to do that without the label’s permission. 

No, they aren't. But Spotify don't put anything up for streaming by themselves, legally or illegaly. They are just a distribution channel. It's the owners of the rights to this material that have done that.

As we know, Mosaic don't have the rights to online digital distribution. Spotify always indicates the names of the labels/distributors. For these sets, they are given as "Capitol Records, LLC" or "The Verve Music Group, a division of UMG Recordings Inc".

Edited by Daniel A
Spelling

I don’t think that answers the question. If people are listening to the music or paying to listen to it, isn’t the copyright holder is losing a sale. The person who puts it on there is a licensee not the owner.  I will need to look into the question. 

I thought Capitol *are* the owner and Mosaic a licensee. And they (Capitol) are getting paid for each stream. I might be paying a flat monthly rate to listen, but a percentage of the total revenue is administered back to the owner, based on the number of total plays.

That wasn't perhaps what you were after, but anyway. :)

Edited by Daniel A