Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

40 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

No. In the case of Spotify, they are paying the labels for the right to stream their music. They pay a hefty fee up front, and then a fee for each time a track is listened to. 

I thought as much but they have been recently hit with some copyright infringement cases as they try to go public.  

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Entertainment/spotify-hit-16-billion-copyright-infringement-lawsuit/story%3fid=52104636

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billboard.com/amp/articles/business/7964869/spotify-mechanical-rights-legal-argument-upend-music-industry-recovery

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I thought Capitol *are* the owner and Mosaic a licensee. And they (Capitol) are getting paid for each stream. I might be paying a flat monthly rate to listen, but a percentage of the total revenue is administered back to the owner, based on the number of total plays.

That wasn't perhaps what you were after, but anyway. :)

The Capitol label and all its sub labels, including Blue Note, are owned by Universal since the latter acquired EMI a few years ago. To prevent them from becoming too big the European Commission ordered Universal to sell EMI's classical division, including Virgin Classics, and the Parlophone label (but not the Beatles catalogue), which were subsequently acquired by Warner Music.

Edited by J.A.W.

Wasn't Mosaic partially owned by Capital?  Does Universal Music now own a piece of it?  And who owns Universal Music? 

10 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

Yes I remember that Capitol Vault Series series line.  $89.99 for a download? Crazy.  No thanks, give me the full package any day.  Downloads, I have Blakey's "Mosaic", from HDTracks sounds great, but the $17.98 without a PDF of the liners or anything was a bit too much.

I downloaded the Dexter then bought a booklet from Mosaic. 

31 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Wasn't Mosaic partially owned by Capital?  Does Universal Music now own a piece of it?  And who owns Universal Music? 

The name of the label is Capitol, not Capital. If nothing has changed with Mosaic since Capitol was taken over by Universal, it seems likely that it is now partially owned by Universal. Universal Music is owned by Vivendi, which is based in France: Universal Music Group (UMG)

Edited by J.A.W.

31 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I'm seeing that Capital has owned 50% of Mosaic since the late 90's. Nothing about UMG. UMG's parent company is called Vivendi. 

Edit: oops, Hans beat me to it. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

46 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Oh cool, that's definitely the way to go with that.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 3 weeks later...

This is not comforting news:

Last Chance!

The Complete Bee Hive Sessions
Final Pressing - Advance Order Request

In this time and place, the Mosaic business model is becoming harder and harder to sustain in this rapidly changing world. We aren't sure what the future will hold for us, but we want to let all of you know how much we appreciate that your support has allowed us to constantly make our dreams come true with set after set and that we intend to persevere. The way we operate may change but our mandate remains steadfast.

We've always been diligent about warning you when sets were running low so you wouldn't miss out on titles that you wanted. But at this point, some sets which are temporarily out of stock may not be pressed again. We want to keep every set active as long as possible, but sometimes, we have to reach out to you to determine demand before investing precious resources in another pressing.

A case in point is The Complete Bee Hive Sessions (MD12-161), a marvelous collection of superb hard bop albums recorded between 1977 and 1984 with artist like Curtis Fuller, Clifford Jordan, Sal Nistico, Dizzy Reece, Nick Brignola Junior Mance and Johnny Hartman among others.

We are currently out of stock and cannot afford to repress the set without a substantial number of advance orders for it. If you've been considering this collection and not yet obtained it, now would be the time to step up in order to secure one.

If you place an advance order for this set, we can determine if another pressing is possible. Your credit card will not be charged until we repress the set and ship it to you (however paypal is immediately deducted from your funds). We regret any pressure or inconvenience this may cause you in your purchasing decisions, but this is the only way that we can safely proceed. 

Thank you for your support and understanding, 
Michael and Scott

43 minutes ago, Brad said:

Last Chance!

The Complete Bee Hive Sessions
Final Pressing - Advance Order Request

In this time and place, the Mosaic business model is becoming harder and harder to sustain in this rapidly changing world. We aren't sure what the future will hold for us, but we want to let all of you know how much we appreciate that your support has allowed us to constantly make our dreams come true with set after set and that we intend to persevere. The way we operate may change but our mandate remains steadfast.

We've always been diligent about warning you when sets were running low so you wouldn't miss out on titles that you wanted. But at this point, some sets which are temporarily out of stock may not be pressed again. We want to keep every set active as long as possible, but sometimes, we have to reach out to you to determine demand before investing precious resources in another pressing.

A case in point is The Complete Bee Hive Sessions (MD12-161), a marvelous collection of superb hard bop albums recorded between 1977 and 1984 with artist like Curtis Fuller, Clifford Jordan, Sal Nistico, Dizzy Reece, Nick Brignola Junior Mance and Johnny Hartman among others.

We are currently out of stock and cannot afford to repress the set without a substantial number of advance orders for it. If you've been considering this collection and not yet obtained it, now would be the time to step up in order to secure one.

If you place an advance order for this set, we can determine if another pressing is possible. Your credit card will not be charged until we repress the set and ship it to you (however paypal is immediately deducted from your funds). We regret any pressure or inconvenience this may cause you in your purchasing decisions, but this is the only way that we can safely proceed. 

Thank you for your support and understanding, 
Michael and Scott

I wasn't really thinking about another Mosaic set at the moment, but what are the opinions on this one?  Seems like these guys could use some support. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I don't think it's horrible news.  They don't want to tie up cash for a box that'll be sitting on their shelves for awhile, so they're sounding out their customers.  If not enough people respond, they'll put their money into a new title.

(I really liked the Beehive box, btw.)

28 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I don't think it's horrible news.  They don't want to tie up cash for a box that'll be sitting on their shelves for awhile, so they're sounding out their customers.  If not enough people respond, they'll put their money into a new title.

That’s my reading of it too. Looks like they are cutting back on having lots of inventory in stock to a more limited stock model. As long as the sets still keep coming out - whatever it takes !

The Beehive set is a very enjoyable collection covering a neglected period - the sort of project that Mosaic does very well indeed. Recommended !

Edited by sidewinder

55 minutes ago, mjzee said:

BTW, did anyone notice the email address it came from?  Mosaic@capitol.umusic-mail.com

Which means they're now also part of the Universal empire, or at least partially.

Edited by J.A.W.

2 hours ago, LJazz said:

The way we operate may change

I am wondering about the significance of this.  Is it just describing the new necessity of soliciting pre-orders before dumping liquid assets into a re-order, or is this an indication of a pending change - a significant one - in the business model.  

Maybe Michael is stepping away or less involved because Mosaic is becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Universal? If Universal became majority shareholder it might at least indicate a respect for the legacy value of the name and that they might keep it alive?

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

That they have liquidity issues is not new news but what they said in the first paragraph is almost like a warning that they may be ceasing operation soon. 

23 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am wondering about the significance of this.  Is it just describing the new necessity of soliciting pre-orders before dumping liquid assets into a re-order, or is this an indication of a pending change - a significant one - in the business model.  

Maybe Michael is stepping away or less involved because Mosaic is becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Universal? If Universal became majority shareholder it might at least indicate a respect for the legacy value of the name and that they might keep it alive?

If Mosaic is (going to be) wholly owned by Universal it might become difficult for them to get licensing agreements for recordings that are not owned by Universal. I don't think Sony or Warner will be eager to license stuff to the competition.

Edited by J.A.W.