JSngry

Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1,231 posts in this topic

This thread i(and Mosaic???)is  dying......c'mon now,....let's lively things up around here and keep this thread(and Mosaic) alive.....I placed an order Friday.....got it Tuesday ....good for me, but it could be a sign that sales have slowed down to a trickle again(free shipping promotion not withstanding)  Looks like the pump needs priming again.

Edited by bigbandrecord

A Bill Barron set would prime my pump.

Otherwise, all the things that they are offering that I want, I have. Can't pump turnips from a pig's ear!

I'm in the same situation, even before the announced problems I had been buying all the sets I wanted and there was nothing in print that I needed to purchase. I may get a set or two as Xmas presents when the present-deciding and -buying season begins. . . or may not. . . we'll see. I wish Mosaic well, the best really.

Got a notice the JPJ will be shipped shortly.

5 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

This thread i(and Mosaic???)is  dying......c'mon now,....let's lively things up around here and keep this thread(and Mosaic) alive.....I placed an order Friday.....got it Tuesday ....good for me, but it could be a sign that sales have slowed down to a trickle again(free shipping promotion not withstanding)  Looks like the pump needs priming again.

I was planning on ordering the Clifford Jordan during the stampede, but ran into a bunch of home and auto repair expenses that wiped out the CD budget. My birthday is coming up in October, so maybe I can use that (or related gift certificate) to justify a purchase.

2 hours ago, miles65 said:

Got a notice the JPJ will be shipped shortly.

So is everything they offer now in print? 

The Turrentine is on back order IIRC.

Edited by mikeweil

Just heard that my latest shipment including the James P. set has shipped.

After ordering the Louis Armstrong(257) and Mingus sets....there's nothing more for me to order either......I hope that we on this board aren't the only ones in the country buying.  Perhaps mosaic needs to manufacture more sets per year with lower announced print numbers(2000 or less), cause that's all there probably selling anyway.

Just did my bit (once again) and purchased the Armstrong #257 as it's on the last chance list plus free shipping. Believe it or not, this will be the first Armstrong in my collection. 

6 hours ago, mr jazz said:

Just did my bit (once again) and purchased the Armstrong #257 as it's on the last chance list plus free shipping. Believe it or not, this will be the first Armstrong in my collection. 

The Live set is pretty nice. I opted for a copy of the Decca Sessions (#243) in my latest shipment.

I ordered a couple of the out of print sets (Curtis Fuller, Thad Jones) from bluenotesound on ebay (which I gather is run by one of the Mosaic people). Two essentially brand new boxes with the disks still wrapped showed up in 3 days. Hah.

Might get the Beehive stuff later. I'm not sure.

Yes, bluenotesound is Mr. Cuscuna himself. 

I really enjoy the Beehive set. . . I'm not really much of a Hartman fan but I even enjoy his album therein.

Well, fuck it. Brenda's retiring in a week, Mosiac's running on fumes, so what the hell, I ordered the Armstrong Decca while I still can. Not going to be "revelatory" for me, I know most of the material well enough. But hey, fuck it.

Any thoughts on the Modern Jazz Quartet set? Own very little of there stuff. 

2 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

I'd recommend to almost anybody. Your ideal rate of consumption might be something to consider before diving in for binge-listening, but, yeah, it's all very good in whatever size dose works best and it will be good to have when you're in the mood for it.

I just received both Armstrong sets. The All-Stars set (#257) was on the bottom of the package and has a large gash in the box. The other set is fine. Sucks. I just emailed about any possibility of a replacement. It's already on Last Chance, though, so I'm feeling queasy.

Louis Armstrong set # 257 now gone.......that was quick.  Too any that received damage boxes, booklets  etc.,  they almost always have surplus of those for replacement.

Edited by bigbandrecord

#257 delivered today! Scott had one in his office so shipped it the same day I ordered.

On September 23, 2017 at 0:41 PM, JSngry said:

Well, fuck it. Brenda's retiring in a week, Mosiac's running on fumes, so what the hell, I ordered the Armstrong Decca while I still can. Not going to be "revelatory" for me, I know most of the material well enough. But hey, fuck it.

Very good notes by Dan Morgenstern for that set.

Just got a shipping notification for Louis Armstrong and All Stars (257) ordered during the week-end. It also said that:

We had a very strong response to our offerings over the last few days and want to thank you for your support!

On 23.9.2017 at 7:32 PM, Tom 1960 said:

Started thoroughly (re-)exploring MJQ recently and got up to 1957 so far .... most enjoyable, including the Atlantic material.

Too bad they never really did a proper collaboration with Jimmy Giuffre, that could have yielded amazing results I think.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:32 PM, Tom 1960 said:

My father's copy of European Concert on LP was one of the jazz recordings that formed my appreciation of the genre when I first started exploring it over 30 years ago.  And while I have listened to the MJQ ever since (Prestige albums, Dedicated to Connie) as well as Milt Jackson (solo, w/ Monk, w/ Coltrane), I had no MJQ Atlantic studio material until I bought this set.  Mosaic did a great job with the  sound. And I am enjoying all of the CDs.  Been parcelling it out about 2-3 CDs at a time in the disc changer.  It is all great, and I am totally happy the set.   

It's quite amazing how things are perceived differently. I have always had mixed feelings about the MJQ. My mother had several MJQ records and when I became interested in jazz (at 15 in the mid-70s) at about the same time I became interested in buying records at all (jazz wasn't my only interest) she touted the MJQ as well as others in a similar vein (e.g. George Gruntz) as the begining and end of jazz and what jazz was supposed to be all about. Easy to understand - to that generation deeply conditioned by classical music and the listening habits that went with it, here at last was some jazz outfit that had the aura of respectability and seriousness that was compatible with listeners' ears brought up on classical music.
As I of course leaned towards much more meaty, straight-ahead, outright blowing jazz (from classic jazz of the 20s via swing - both big and small bands - to my early bop discoveries), in the beginning I found the MJQ utterly odd and it took me a long time to figure out what "Fontessa" (her preferred MJQ record) was all about. In fact I bought my own copy eventually (figuring that there must be something to it) as well as "No Sun In Venice" but to this day the MJQ I prefer is the one where things focus on Milt Jackson and his soloing.
Those where John Lewis takes control of things I cannot always warm up to in full, and in general (and particularly from a historical point of view of the European scene) I still find that all that "Third Stream" fetish and "jazz must attain the respectability of classical music by being married with it" attitude was a dead end and a huge disservice to the evolution of jazz over here and therefore something that I find needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. IMO this overly zealous attitude (particularly widespread among Germans, alas, including certain jazz scribes) to use classical music and their "respectability" as the yardstick by which jazz is supposed to be judged (which was one major reason why the MJQ concerts always were huge and much-lauded events here)  has often stifled the development of real, down-to-earth no-frills jazz here that is allowed to develop fully and be appreciated on its OWN terms. In between more pop-oriented bands where jazz came to the fore very occasionally and high-art, high-brow Third Stream there was not that much room for other, IMO healthier and more straightforward forms of jazz. Between being not commercial enough (to make a living) and not "respectable" enough, jazz led a hard life. And the MJQ and its success had a huge role in setting that scene, alas.

On 29.9.2017 at 1:31 PM, king ubu said:

Too bad they never really did a proper collaboration with Jimmy Giuffre, that could have yielded amazing results I think.

Did you check out the "MJQ at Music Inn" LP (feat.Jimmy Giuffre)? That's a start, at least.
Bought it on a whim at a clearout sale years ago, not something I can take in often, but maybe I should again one of these days... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve