JSngry

Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

963 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Did you check out the "MJQ at Music Inn" LP (feat.Jimmy Giuffre)? That's a start, at least.
Bought it on a whim at a clearout sale years ago, not something I can take in often, but maybe I should again one of these days... ;)

I have a surplus copy of a Japanese CD reissue of that album looking for a new home ... pm me if interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thans, no. Like I indicated in my post, I bought it some years ago -  I have it on a 80s CBS LP and I am fine with that pressing.

But somebody else, maybe ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Did you check out the "MJQ at Music Inn" LP (feat.Jimmy Giuffre)? That's a start, at least.
Bought it on a whim at a clearout sale years ago, not something I can take in often, but maybe I should again one of these days... ;)

Well yes, of course ... had those for many years on the Giuffre Mosaic box already. Those are the really lame ones though, the better ones are the two cuts (performed as a suite) on the "Third Stream" LP. Still that is just a beginning, too ... I think Giuffres clarinet would have been a really cool addition, but then Lewis (and Giuffre) would have had to work some to add it to the group, not just to have it play along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free shipping promo ends tonight. Pulled trigger on Dial and Savoy. Thinking about MJQ and Lester before final curtain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick said:

Thinking about MJQ and Lester before final curtain. 

Probably now or never for me, re: the MJQ set. Guess I've got about 90 min to decide. Do I need 4-6 albums of MJQ material??  Hell yeah I do!! But do I need 14(!) - that's quite a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, both MJQ & Lester. Long game, trust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be interesting for EU customers who get their Mosaics from Jazz Messengers, Barcelona. I contacted them about the possible consequences of the current political situation in Catalonia and they assured me there will be no problems, they will move to another region of Spain if the Catalonian parliament declares independence from Spain and the region automatically ceases to be part of the EU that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

This may be interesting for EU customers who get their Mosaics from Jazz Messengers, Barcelona. I contacted them about the possible consequences of the current political situation in Catalonia and they assured me there will be no problems, they will move to another region of Spain if the Catalonian parliament declares independence from Spain and the region automatically ceases to be part of the EU that way.

Jeez !  Thanks for the clarification though as I was wondering last night how this would affect them. Good to know.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth: Ricky Ricardi mentioned in his obit for George Avakian that he (Ricky) and Scott Wenzel were planing a Mosaic box of Avakian produced Columbia Armstrong studio material for release in 2019.  

Edited by medjuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, medjuck said:

For what it's worth: Ricky Ricardi mentioned in his obit for George Avakian that he (Ricky) and Scott Wenzel were planing a Mosaic box of Avakian produced Columbia Armstrong studio material for release in 2019.  

What will there - of note, anyway - be that's not been out already?

I think a Bill Barron set would be more needed.

Or, if Cuscuna's retired or whatever, have we seen the end of Mosaic dealing with anything past a certain "point" of evolution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSngry said:

What will there - of note, anyway - be that's not been out already?

I think a Bill Barron set would be more needed.

Or, if Cuscuna's retired or whatever, have we seen the end of Mosaic dealing with anything past a certain "point" of evolution?

To quote Ricky:

"Yes, if you’re curious, it will contain tons of bonus tracks and previously unreleased material from Handy, Fats, the “Mack the Knife” session and more."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.