JSngry

Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1,231 posts in this topic

Brad - Great report and sounds like the open house was lots of fun.

I’ve managed to bundle a few things in with an order for the new Teddy Wilson set, with Scott’s kind assistance.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Brad - Great report and sounds like the open house was lots of fun.

I’ve managed to bundle a few things in with an order for the new Teddy Wilson set, with Scott’s kind assistance.

Thanks. I should have taken a few photos.  Brain fart!  I was looking for the new Wilson set since you could see everything and walk anywhere but didn't see it. Should have asked Scott.  I will pick it up at Jazz Bash in late June.  

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

If I pay cash, can you thrown in The "Roger" Sessions?

I got your Rogers Sessions for you.  Right here...

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

If I pay cash, can you thrown in The "Roger" Sessions?

Don't buy them unless he throws in the Buddy Bolden cylinders.

gregmo

Well yesterday I made my pilgrimage of sorts to Stamford from Baltimore (about a 4 hour drive each way, not too bad). A great experience. Got to talk to Scott and Michael which was really nice. Turns out Scott and I are both Towson graduates which was neat to find out. He said they need more young people like me getting into the music (I’m 32, so not really all that young but hey thanks).

I’ll also say there’s quite a bit more than what’s on the circulating list, especially in the partial sets department, so if you have the opportunity, do stop in. I ended up purchasing a copy of the Basie Clef/Verve set (amazing, listened to the first 4 discs on the drive back), the HRS sessions and an incomplete Earl Hines set. Would have bought more but cash is always tight with a young family. Scott said that this was all part of the master plan to keep the business viable and I think every single person that stopped in said they hope there’s still a long future for the company. He also said the Teddy Wilson set sounds amazing and that the preorders should be finished being shipped out next week which has already been mentioned on the board. Very excited for that one to arrive.

Scott confirmed that my order would go out by end of next week so that jibes with the timing per the above for the Teddy Wilson set.

’Pilgrimage’ sums it up well Jordan. It would be ahead of the likes of Santiago de Compostela on my list. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Scott confirmed that my order would go out by end of next week so that jibes with the timing per the above for the Teddy Wilson set.

’Pilgrimage’ sums it up well Jordan. It would be ahead of the likes of Santiago de Compostela on my list. :lol:

I’ll be waiting a while longer for mine to ship with the Savory set📀. It’ll be worth the wait. 

Just noticed that the latest Jazzmessengers catalogue is listing both the Wilson and Savory sets so that is now an option over this side of the pond. I’ll probably go that route with the Savory.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just noticed that the latest Jazzmessengers catalogue is listing both the Wilson and Savory sets so that is now an option over this side of the pond. I’ll probably go that route with the Savory.

Just searched their site high and low but did not see the Savory set. Where did you find it?

It’s listed in the latest hard copy catalogue just arrived in the mail - they give it a ‘recommended’ tag.

Seems like they only list the sets on their website they actually have in stock - the James P. Johnson was gone after I had ordered my copy but was back on a week later when they received a few more copies. As soon after they have the Wilson in stock, they will list it. Hope they get the Turrentine along with it. 

I took the trip to Mosaic this afternoon.  It is located on the second floor of nondescript building in an industrial park. The office/warehouse is not very large at all.  It is sparsely furnished with  desks for staff and shelving for the product. There was also an audio system near one of the desks.

About 6 to 9 full Hank Mobley sets were available and discounted because the shrink wrap on certain the cds had been removed.  The Savoy Be-Bop and Dial sets were on sale as complete sets and discounted for open shrink wrap.  I saw a partial Nat King Cole set that was available.  I saw that there appeared to be some complete Sun Ship Sessions lp sets still available.  I also spotted some of the Mulligan Sextet lp sets still available.  Several selects were available -- John Patton, Don Pullen, Duke Pearson, Sam Rivers Orchestra, Tolliver Big Band, and others -- there was only one of each. There were also numerous photographs available -- some were particularly pricey.  There were dozens and dozens of booklets and Mosaic catalogues available.  There were also several Blue Note SHM cds available.

At one point while I was there, Michael Cuscuna played what I believed to be a Monk Live at the It Club test pressing on a turntable.  It sounded fabulous.  I spoke with Scott Wenzel on my way out.  I asked him about Mosaic's prospects.  He sounded guarded, but gave Mosaic a positive prognosis. 

Edited by sonnyhill

That ‘It Club’ set sounds great on the vinyl. 

13 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

I took the trip to Mosaic this afternoon.  It is located on the second floor of nondescript building in an industrial park. The office/warehouse is not very large at all.  It is sparsely furnished with  desks for staff and shelving for the product. There was also an audio system near one of the desks.

About 6 to 9 full Hank Mobley sets were available and discounted because the shrink wrap on certain the cds had been removed.  The Savoy Be-Bop and Dial sets were on sale as complete sets and discounted for open shrink wrap.  I saw a partial Nat King Cole set that was available.  I saw that there appeared to be some complete Sun Ship Sessions lp sets still available.  I also spotted some of the Mulligan Sextet lp sets still available.  Several selects were available -- John Patton, Don Pullen, Duke Pearson, Sam Rivers Orchestra, Tolliver Big Band, and others -- there was only one of each. There were also numerous photographs available -- some were particularly pricey.  There were dozens and dozens of booklets and Mosaic catalogues available.  There were also several Blue Note SHM cds available.

At one point while I was there, Michael Cuscuna played what I believed to be a Monk Live at the It Club test pressing on a turntable.  It sounded fabulous.  I spoke with Scott Wenzel on my way out.  I asked him about Mosaic's prospects.  He sounded guarded, but gave Mosaic a positive prognosis. 

How much were the asking for the Selects?  I could use the Pearson at a reasonabe price.

Probably asking price or lower.  I probably should have bought some of the Nat King Cole but figured I’d spent enough. 

On 3/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, sonnyhill said:

Damn. Rivers Orchestra and Tolliver Big Band are Selects I really want...but no way I could have made the trip.

41 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Damn. Rivers Orchestra and Tolliver Big Band are Selects I really want...but no way I could have made the trip.

Send an email to Scott @ Mosaic.  He'll ship them to you, as long as he still has them.

I may be way off, but I remember most of the selects missing a disc. But as mjzee said, Scott has been super helpful to me so I’m sure he won’t mind helping you.

54 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Send an email to Scott @ Mosaic.  He'll ship them to you, as long as he still has them.

Thanks, guys. I'd be shocked if complete copies of those Selects survived four days of the open house sale, but I will inquire to Scott.

Since we're discussing Selects, they also had the slipcases for many of the Selects, not just the Selects for which they had discs. Since they're flat they should be easy to ship. 

19 hours ago, mjzee said:

I e-mailed the Mosaic info address.

Both MC and Scott kindly and quickly (esp. considering they likely thought it a dumbass inquiry ^_^) replied. There was only one copy of each Select (Tolliver, Rivers big bands), and they sold. I expected as much, so did not ask whether they were complete sets.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

There was only one copy of each Select (Tolliver, Rivers big bands), and they sold. I expected as much, so did not ask whether they were complete sets.

I seem to recall the prior listing said they were both partials, iirc.

Is the Woody Shaw Muse set gone?  I didn't get any emails/alerts that it's gone but I'd assume since it was backordered a while ago maybe it'd be scarce.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I think there was a copy for sale in the Open House - not sure if it was full or partial.

I’m thinking it was full but wouldn’t swear to it.