Woody and Dexter Unreleased tracks.

Hardbopjazz

Have not heard this material but would like to. The first three musical tracks -- "Fried Bananas," "Strollin'" and "You've Changed" -- appear to be those from the October 25, 1976 gig at the Village Gate that was available at one point on a Spanish bootleg CD. Anyone know the source of the rest of the material? Would think it's probably from the either that same night or another night during the run at the Village Gate.

I downloaded 2 Dex & Woody albums from the iTunes store many years ago.  Details can be found in this thread: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32864-dexter-gordon-woody-shaw-invitation-vol-1-and-vol-2-live/  I see only one title repeated (Body and Soul), and, of course, these could be different performances.  My notes show these tracks recorded in 1979 (Basel, Switzerland, & Village Vanguard), 1977 (Keystone Korner), and 1980 (Senegal).  So the new downloads may not be from 1976.

I think it was Woody Shaw who had persuaded Dexter to return to the States. I think all material of Dexter with and without Woody should get legal pressing, it´s of historic importance and should not be limited to bootleg recordings. As the once announced Dexter Bio, I´m still waiting to see it published. Dexter was a main figure in late 70´s early 80´s acoustic jazz (that´s my opinion out from the point of view when I was the young guy of that generation listening to all that stuff).

Dexter was the old master, once leading the scene of the 40´s together on stage with Bird, Diz, Bud, Max, Fats, Mr. B. , Tadd, and so on, and playing in a more modern way in the late 70´s early 80´s.

And Woody was the young lion, the one who made us believe that jazz is going on, that there is something new after Diz, Miles, and someone who might scare Freddy Hubbard, a great and still young trumpet player himself then......

8 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

This is being offered by Woody Shaw III.

Do know .... don`t have earlier releases curated by him near me to recheck but believe not too much infos have been given neither .... but again, whoever releases (vintage) material without detailed info (IMO) doesn`t service the targeted client group properly ....

• 3 weeks later...

Release info that came with the downloads:

Dexter Gordon, ts; Woody Shaw, tp; Ronnie Matthews, pn; Stafford James, bs; Louis Hayes, dr
Village Gate, NYC, October 25, 1978

1. Fried Bananas
2. Announcement
3. Strollin'
4. You've Changed

Dexter Gordon, ts; Woody Shaw, tp; George Cables, pn; Rufus Reid, bs; Victor Lewis, dr
May 5, 1977, New Haven, CT,
5. Tanya
6. Old Folks
7. Antabus

Dexter Gordon, ts; Woody Shaw, tp; Ronnie Matthews, pn; Stafford James, bs; Louis Hayes, dr
San Francisco, CA, December 31, 1980
8. Tanya
9. Blues Up and Down (w/ Johnny Griffin)
10. Cheese Cake
11. Body and Soul
12. Fried Banana

12 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Release info that came with the downloads:

Village Gate, NYC, October 25, 1978

1. Fried Bananas
2. Announcement
3. Strollin'
4. You've Changed

Dexter Gordon, ts; Woody Shaw, tp; George Cables, pn; Rufus Reid, bs; Victor Lewis, dr
May 5, 1977, New Haven, CT,
5. Tanya
6. Old Folks
7. Antabus

San Francisco, CA, December 31, 1980
8. Tanya
9. Blues Up and Down (w/ Johnny Griffin)
10. Cheese Cake
11. Body and Soul
12. Fried Banana

Thnx for sharing ....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

https://archive.org/details/dexter-gordon-friends-keystone-sf-nye-1980

Dexter Gordon Quartet & Friends live at The Keystone Korner jazz club in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1980. This concert was broadcast as a NPR Jazz Alive special, and was recorded from WBEZ FM in Chicago. Thanks to Mark Rabin for sharing this recording from his collection. The full recording has been restored, someone steered me to a full copy after reading about this in Marc Myers' JazzWax blog.

Read about Dexter's concert at Ronnie Scott's in London earlier that year: https://jazzjournal.co.uk/2020/06/29/jj-06-80-dexter-gordon-quartet-at-ronnie-scotts/

Musicians:
Dexter Gordon Quartet:
Dexter Gordon - tenor sax
Kirk Lightsey - piano
David Eubanks - bass
Eddie Gladden - drums

Friends:
Kenny Burrell - guitar
Cedar Walton - piano
Buster Williams - bass
Billy Higgins - drums
Woody Shaw - trumpet
Sonny Stitt - tenor sax
Ernie Andrews - vocal

6 hours ago, mjzee said:

https://archive.org/details/dexter-gordon-friends-keystone-sf-nye-1980

Dexter Gordon Quartet & Friends live at The Keystone Korner jazz club in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1980. This concert was broadcast as a NPR Jazz Alive special, and was recorded from WBEZ FM in Chicago. Thanks to Mark Rabin for sharing this recording from his collection. The full recording has been restored, someone steered me to a full copy after reading about this in Marc Myers' JazzWax blog.

Read about Dexter's concert at Ronnie Scott's in London earlier that year: https://jazzjournal.co.uk/2020/06/29/jj-06-80-dexter-gordon-quartet-at-ronnie-scotts/

Musicians:
Dexter Gordon Quartet:
Dexter Gordon - tenor sax
Kirk Lightsey - piano
David Eubanks - bass
Eddie Gladden - drums

Friends:
Kenny Burrell - guitar
Cedar Walton - piano
Buster Williams - bass
Billy Higgins - drums
Woody Shaw - trumpet
Sonny Stitt - tenor sax
Ernie Andrews - vocal

I would have liked to read the complete review of the Ronny Scott gig, but for this I might "log in or subscribe". It would have been interesting for me because I heard Dexter quite often in that period. I also remember the over long Eddie Gladden solos. Though I am a drums fan and love to listen to or to play with top drummers, 20 Minute drum solos especially by Gladden is not really constructive for a set of music. It usually was on the last tune "Backstairs" a simple blues in Bb at fast tempo. And yeah, Dexter would disappear, but I think this was due to his ever increasing consumption of booze. I doubt he went backstairs to have "a bite to eat", he might have emptied a bottle. 
And yeah, I think it is not fine to leave the stage when fellow musicians play their solo. I love to hear every bit of the drum solo, if I have a gig. 

Maybe someone can post the whole review ?