Alice Coltrane's Devotional Music

mikeweil

Luaka Bop will reissue Alice Coltrane's Devotional Music, a little known side of her musical activities, but closely connected to some of her albums on Impulse and Warner Bros.:

World Spirituality Classics 1: The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda

81Grk4Y6N5L._SL1200_.jpg

Samples on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/World-Spirituality-Classics-Ecstatic-Coltrane/dp/B06XCDN2WQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1493801242&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=World+Spirituality+Classics+1%3A+The+Ecstatic+Music+of+Alice+Coltrane+Turiyasangitananda

Nice review here: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/24/alice-coltranes-devotional-music

Edited by mikeweil

it's funny; when I was about 17 I went to hear Alice Coltrane at the University of Michigan. I wasn't quite ready for that kind of music - meditative, repetitive, slow-moving - and I fell asleep. Today I love her music.

Edited by AllenLowe

Annoying they have chosen to ignore the first and best cassette completely, I hope this mean it will get a seperate full release. That unofficial reissue of it

https://www.discogs.com/Alice-Coltrane-Turiya-Sings/release/7005416

seems to have been removed from everywhere!

Still hope they will reissue some of live material from the 70s that's still in the vaults

I just read the following in the Netherlands' premier quality newspaper, NRC Handelsblad, in an article on streaming. This section is a discussion of a Kamasi Washington themed playlist: 

"inspirator Alice Coltrane, mother of John Coltrane who with his spiritual jazz classic A Love Supreme laid the foundations for Kamasi Washington's album."

I bought a copy to read about the French election, but still ... :unsure:

On May 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM, jazzbo said:

Just arrived and is spinning now. Beautiful booklet. Sound is considerably better than I expected!

•  

Picked up the CD of this from Landlocked Music yesterday and absolutely agree, Lon. Reading the excellent booklet while listening to the music reinforces yet again how much I prefer a physical release to unadorned downloads. This is a wonderful record for Sunday morning, too. I love her singing!

• 2 weeks later...

My copy arrived yesterday. Very much enjoy the music, and the booklet is excellent (though it seems to omit playing times of the tracks).

But track #8 does not seem to be "Keshava Murahara" as listed in the booklet...as far as I can tell, it's very similar to track #5 ("Hari Narayan") but with some vocal passages in the middle that I couldn't make out. Did anyone else notice this, or am I hallucinating?

And unfortunately, track #8 on my copy skipped and stopped playing before the stated (9:44 by allmusic and Amazon) conclusion, so I returned it today. Replacement on the way.

When I got the LP version a couple of weeks ago,
it was really beautiful to see and was a reminder of
well-done, large (relatively, since mid '80s) cover art.
They also sent a larger than usual postcard that
reproduces the cover without text and a personal
"thank you" with Sharpie-drawn Luaka Bop logo.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Concert of her spiritual music in this year's London Jazz Fest. Performed by the current ashram choir. Ticket booked as a bit of a punt off the back of the album which is one of my favourite releases of the year.

Yes, noticed that. I’m tempted but it would be a bit of a trek and a half. I have the feeling it will be a great gig.

These ashram recordings hold up incredibly well. No wonder the cassettes were so sought after. Totally off my radar at the time though. I remember being in LA back in 1989 I think and seeing a flier on a lamp-post for an Alice Coltrane concert in tribute to John. Must have been that annual memorial concert I guess - sadly, had flown back from my trip by the time it was held. Remember being surprised at the time to see that she was still doing public gigs.