Happy 80th Birthday Ron Carter.

Hardbopjazz

Such a great musician !

Saw him live on several occasions.

My favourit album of his own is "Parade". I love that !Beside his immense recording activity in the 60´s , much more than his longtime collaboration with Miles,  he was THE acoustic bassist in my youth, the ´70s when acustic jazz was a smaller part of the game. But all those great VSOP records and concerts, that was the thing, that huge sound he had, the tricky use of glissando, giving the bass a more up to date listening experience than the old school bassists. He was something like a Mr. Hip. We kids from that generation including those who dug more the Stanley Clark fender bass and the Michael Henderson electric bass with Miles, fell in love with what Ron Carter did........

That´s something I would have liked to tell him if I could send him my congratulations........

There is something about him - besides the enormous number of sessions he played on - that makes him the elder statesman of jazz bass, more than Richard Davis, Reggie Workman or any other great jazz bassist of his generation. Happy Birthday!

So many good sessions...where do you even start?  I think I first became aware through Miles and the VSOP records, but he's done much--a lot of Blue Note classics, a lot of meetings with Tyner, The Great Jazz Trio, Bill Frisell, Joey Baron, etc etc etc.

I'd particularly recommend Etudes, which is under his name--and features Art Farmer. Bill Evans (sax), and Tony Williams. 

Ron Carter topped today's list of celebrity birthdays published daily in my local newspaper.  Also celebrating his 80th today -- guitarist Dick Dale!  I wonder if those two octogenarians will be recording a duo project any time soon? ;)

Happy Birthday, Mr. Carter!