Johnny Hodges and Lawrence Welk.

Hardbopjazz

It's fine. It's a hodges Easy Listening album. Welk loved Hodges and gave him the royal treatment in every regard, arrangers, money, limo service, everything.

Keep in mind, it is an easy listening record, not too much "jazz" on it. But Johnny Hodges didn't ever play bullshit, ever.

I mean, fuck Bobby Vinton, I bet a lot more people would have covered this if not for the stigmatization of Bobby Vinton. It's a good song, especially the bridge.

Any way, Johnny Hodges, no bullshit, never.

As for Lawrence Welk, he had his core "stars" and his TV band, but, you know, L.A...those guys played the gig if you know what.I mean. It was what it was, but with Johnny Hodges, whatever else it was, it was not bullshit.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I mean, fuck Bobby Vinton, I bet a lot more people would have covered this if not for the stigmatization of Bobby Vinton. It's a good song, especially the bridge.

Any way, Johnny Hodges, no bullshit, never.

As for Lawrence Welk, he had his core "stars" and his TV band, but, you know, L.A...those guys played the gig if you know what.I mean. It was what it was, but with Johnny Hodges, whatever else it was, it was not bullshit.

Not to forget:

• 1 year later...

Interestingly, Hodges also plays Blue Velvet on Sandy's Gone (Verve), which looks like another easy listening experience.  The reviews are generally pretty harsh for this LP, despite an all-star line-up (Hodges, Kenny Burrell, Wild Bill Davis and/or Hank Jones, Joe Newman and/or Joe Wilder.  I found a few partial clips on-line, and what I heard does not inspire me to go looking for the rest of the album. 

I'm not really in the market for the Hodges-Welk LP, but that looks like it succeeds on its own terms, while this one doesn't appear to.

It's definitely not Webster.  Or Harold Ashby (who could sound a lot like Ben) either.

Frank Culley sounds like a likely candidate.  One website says that it's Willis Jackson, but I'm a bit dubious about that.

Here's what I found (see here:  http://members.home.nl/henk.gorter/Itc5412.html)

>>>

December 16, 1954 : THE CLOVERS do a three-song session in New York City. "Blue Velvet" is coupled with "If You Love Me (Why Don't You Tell Me So)" for release on Atlantic 1052 in February 1955. A # 14 R&B hit. Also laid down is "Love Bug", which will appear on Atlantic 1060 in April 1955 (c/w "In the Morning Time" from a session on April 16, 1954). Lead vocals by Billy Mitchell. Willis Jackson plays tenor sax, more details unknown. Produced by Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler.

>>>

Edited by jazztrain
more information

12 hours ago, jazztrain said:

It's definitely not Webster.  Or Harold Ashby (who could sound a lot like Ben) either.

Frank Culley sounds like a likely candidate.  One website says that it's Willis Jackson, but I'm a bit dubious about that.

Here's what I found (see here:  http://members.home.nl/henk.gorter/Itc5412.html)

>>>

December 16, 1954 : THE CLOVERS do a three-song session in New York City. "Blue Velvet" is coupled with "If You Love Me (Why Don't You Tell Me So)" for release on Atlantic 1052 in February 1955. A # 14 R&B hit. Also laid down is "Love Bug", which will appear on Atlantic 1060 in April 1955 (c/w "In the Morning Time" from a session on April 16, 1954). Lead vocals by Billy Mitchell. Willis Jackson plays tenor sax, more details unknown. Produced by Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler.

>>>

I've always heard it was Willis 'Gatortail' Jackson, he did a number of sessions for Atlantic in that period and was married to their star, Ruth Brown.  sounds like him to me.