Byard Lancaster/Khan Jamal "Unreleased Dogtown LP" (?)

corto maltese

s-l64.jpgs-l64.jpg

Sold on Ebay yesterday for $1,775...These were the seller's comments:

"looks like an unreleased Dogtown LP !! matrix n° on side a is "dogtown 7"/side b "dogtown 8" (hand-written); very spare and out there music, one side it's under Byard Lancaster/other side by Khan Jamal. could be two different sets as i don't hear for example any vibes on the Lancaster side and viceversa (no sax on Jamal side) ?! unfortunatly not much info on who plays on it (it'd be a trio or 4et on each side ?!) and where it was rec. but without any doubts one of the rarest LP i ever offered for sale in the last 20 years, could easily be the only copy in existence".

I am unconvinced, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Wow, what a price someone paid! Great to see that.

Could be a something I've never heard, or could be a compilation of soome tracks from the albums each of them did for the Philly Jazz label..?

Byard Lancaster- EXODUS PJ-1001

Khan Jamal - THE RIVER  PJ-1002

Edited by Dmitry

According to discogs, The River is a vibraphone-marimbaphone duo album... if that's the material on Side 2, the seller's description would be quite misleading...

"comments: looks like an unreleased Dogtown LP !! matrix n° on side a is "dogtown 7"/side b "dogtown 8" (hand-written); very spare and out there music, one side it's under Byard Lancaster/other side by Khan Jamal. could be two different sets as i don't hear for example any vibes on the Lancaster side and viceversa (no sax on Jamal side) ?! unfortunatly not much info on who plays on it (it'd be a trio or 4et on each side ?!) and where it was rec. but without any doubts one of the rarest LP i ever offered for sale in the last 20 years, could easily be the only copy in existence."

Yes. Probably got this stuff off of dime and had it pressed up with Dogtown etchings. He's legendary for these antics but people with money keep buying stuff from him and presumably don't care.

He was also selling LPs of stuff grabbed from the old WKCR archives streaming site in editions of 99. Truly crass.

yeah, it's hard to tell what you're getting sometimes, but with those paste-on covers and frequently cited as "no label" from Italy, they're all his. He also booted the rare Ron Everett "Glitter from the City" LP and sold it as an old-stock original. Nothing new in the world of psych and private rock dealing over the decades, but in jazz these waters are a little more uncharted.

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yes. Probably got this stuff off of dime and had it pressed up with Dogtown etchings. He's legendary for these antics but people with money keep buying stuff from him and presumably don't care.

He was also selling LPs of stuff grabbed from the old WKCR archives streaming site in editions of 99. Truly crass.

Yes, the Charles Tyler live and studio recordings from a couple of years back. But with those releases (even if they were not legitimate) there was no cover-up story about the origin of the recording.

While this "Dogtown test pressing" would be a counterfeit and -even more remarkable (and without becoming too metaphysical :))- a counterfeit of a record which doesn't even exist.

7 hours ago, corto maltese said:

While this "Dogtown test pressing" would be a counterfeit and -even more remarkable (and without becoming too metaphysical :))- a counterfeit of a record which doesn't even exist.

he booted that Art Jackson's Atrocity (Henry Kaiser) thing as well, which was circulating for several years as a download until he put it out as a limited LP. He's also done this with stuff from Sun Ra trees. 

Here's another example and another example.

Funkadelic is pretty funny, clearly just wrote on an old beat up stock black cover with glitter pen...

Didn't work for me either, but I searched for the seller (uncle_b_jay). To my great surprise, only positive feedback showed.

But on further reflection, I wouldn't expect a buyer to spring for a murky-looking $1,775 item unless the eBay feedback was good.

I rarely visit eBay any more, and am even less likely to now!

Edited by T.D.