why did George Coleman leave Eastern Rebellion

Just a guess - at around the time I caught Eastern Rebellion wih Berg on tenor, I also caught two deparate tour appearances by Coleman both with his Quartet (with Hilton Ruiz) and the Octet. So I guess he was fully occupied touring with his own projects !

Do not know the background of Coleman`s "departure" .... saw the Eastern Rebellion with Bob Berg in the late 70`s and he was truly on fire - compared to this experience all record releases of this group - even the three LP SteepleChase set taped @"Jazzhus Montmartre" Copenhagen, Denmark, on October 1st 1977 - (IMO) sounded comparably restrained  ....

Can it be said that "Eastern Rebellion" was the next step after the "Magic Triangle feat. Clifford Jordan"? This must have been in ´75, really strong music, but I think it was reported that during the end of the Jordan-Walton/Jones/Higgins collaboration some problems had appeared.

George Coleman was great in any surroundings. He must have been an ideal partner for Cedar Walton.

I didn´t hear the formation with Bob Berg, but I´m sure it was great and would be a nice choice to purchase.

George Coleman Quartet with Hilton Ruiz.......I remember that well, must have been in late ´78, ´79, yes with Billy Higgins and I think Ray Drummond. They did a very fine album "Amsterdam at Dark" on Timeless, I think they did the tour after that album and played tunes from that album. I remember it well.

Another educated guess: Maybe Berg and later Ralph Moore did feel more comfortable at playing Cedar Walton's music, which was the bulk of their band book. Saw both these saxists with the band and it was great. Coleman had a somewhat looser quartet approach.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Another educated guess: Maybe Berg and later Ralph Moore did feel more comfortable at playing Cedar Walton's music, which was the bulk of their band book. Saw both these saxists with the band and it was great. Coleman had a somewhat looser quartet approach.

This might be the reason ! Berg and Moore were almost 20 years younger than Jordan and Coleman. So, the first collaborations between the Cedar Walton Trio with Tenorists was horn players from the same generation like him. Maybe they were more interesting in doing their own stuff .

Berg and Moore were very young and highly talented and obviously willing to play Cedar Walton´s music.

Poor Berg, when I saw him later with Miles, it was the most uninteresting chapter of Miles music, just a stage show with "Time after Time" and "Human Nature".... and Berg couldn´t do anything to help things make better. He would have been great with Miles in 1981 when the stuff still was rougher and more jazzy......

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

George Coleman Quartet with Hilton Ruiz.......I remember that well, must have been in late ´78, ´79, yes with Billy Higgins and I think Ray Drummond. They did a very fine album "Amsterdam at Dark" on Timeless, I think they did the tour after that album and played tunes from that album. I remember it well.

Very good indeed ....

I always figured that bob Berg got the ER gig because he was young, on the scene, available for travel as a sideman, and had that Horace Silver pedigree for credibility.

Hard to remember how few players there were during that time period who fit those criteria.

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

Very good indeed ....

and I remember some very impressive circular breathing demonstrations from Coleman at those performances. I shared one table with some very young UK saxophonists who were in awe at the demonstration - subsequently with Loose Tubes.

2 hours ago, BFrank said:

All great albums!

Don't forget 'The Pentagon' !