Definitve to resissue Clark and Defranco

Just spotted a 2cd set listed in the Crazy Jazz March supplement that Definitive are doing a Clark/Defranco "The Complete Sessions" . Another rip off, but,

interesting nonetheless.

Also listed on the same label is Serge Chaloff's "Boston Blow Up/Blue Serge". Don't know about the alternates.

Edited by JohnS

Did Definitive ever care?

They usually care. Check their latest releases, you can be sure that they hit the market only a few months after the music has entered the public domain in Europe. The announced Chaloff and Tal Farlow CDs are the only exceptions I've seen so far from Definitive.

It's different for the other related labels, like Blue Moon and Fresh Sound, which frequently released music with dubious legal status which was not in the public domain.

Edited by Claude

Copyright law is now harmonized in the EU, especially the duration of protection, which is important for the internal market.

This may not apply to Andorra, but Definitive won't release CDs are only available in a country of 70.000 inhabitants.

In 1995 the Italian GIANTS OF JAZZ label issued a CD, "Buddy DeFranco Quartet," (CD 53227) which contained about half of these cuts ... The original session dates were April 7, August 9, 10, and September 1, 1954. How were they able to get away with that? There is no indication that Norman Granz licensed the material ..

Also interesting to note that Definitive list this set as "The SONNY CLARK - Buddy DeFranco Quartet" ... Clark was a relatively unknown when DeFranco first employed him. Now many younger jazz fans have discovered DeFranco's genius through his association with Clark, a darling of the Blue Note re-bop movement.

Garth "The World's Greatest Buddy DeFranco Fan (self-proclaimed),

Houston.

I should have added to the post above a comment of praise, which I have written about before on this board..

One cut here, "THE BRIGHT ONE" is in my humble opinion, the greatest example of pure bop ever played on that daunting instrument, the Bb clarinet ... it is DeFranco at his technical and harmonic peak .. a peak that he has not really descended from even though he is now approaching 80!

His latest album, "COOKIN' THE BOOKS" with the John Pizzarelli Trio (Arbors ARCD 19298) is a bit of travesty .. brilliant in parts, and embarrassing in others, because DeFranco is head and shoulders above the other musicians on the date in every aspect. These younger guys just cannot compete with him harmonically, rhythmically, or technically ... I was very disappointed. DeFranco needs to challenge himself back in the pure quartet format with someone like Kenny Barron, Kenny Washington and Lewis Nash .... Drop the swing wannabbees and get back with the neo-bop program!

Just my 2¢!

Garth,

Houston.

Garth,

Unless my sources are incorrect, Buddy de Franco turned 81 last month.

I, too, am a HUGE Buddy de Franco fan, although I have failed to pick up any of his recent recordings. It is great to hear that he is still at the top of his game.

In 1995 the Italian GIANTS OF JAZZ label issued a CD, "Buddy DeFranco Quartet," (CD 53227) which contained about half of these cuts ... The original session dates were April 7, August 9, 10, and September 1, 1954. How were they able to get away with that? There is no indication that Norman Granz licensed the material ..

Also interesting to note that Definitive list this set as "The SONNY CLARK - Buddy DeFranco Quartet" ... Clark was a relatively unknown when DeFranco first employed him. Now many younger jazz fans have discovered DeFranco's genius through his association with Clark, a darling of the Blue Note re-bop movement.

Garth "The World's Greatest Buddy DeFranco Fan (self-proclaimed),

Houston.

Good point...in fact, in FYE stores in their bargain bins, I frequently see Mingus, Coltrane live cds from the late 50's, even in the early 60s...can't imagine they are legal....