Travelling to New York

Getting ready to leave to New York this coming Thursday to visit brother and family in New Jersey (an opportunity as they are only there for one year). We will be travelling between the 18th and 30th, but will only have a few days for visits having some writing to complete. Have any of you made recent visits or been to some exhibits that you would recommend? As for social history and/or jazz music, would you recommend any particular museum or sights? I am not sure if we will be seeing many concerts since we will stay in Princeton, but will definitely look at the NYC jazz record and might select one night. Thank you all for advice!

One more thing I would definitely recommend is taking a 3 hour narrated architecture tour around Manhattan. Afterwards you will have a knowledge of the city and its history that you would not have otherwise dreamed of.

Classic Harbor Line is by far the best cruise company to hire. You will circumnavigate the island on a large, beamy mahogany-clad motor yacht, at leisurely speed, and pass under all of the bridges, while an American Institute of Architects certified guide gives you the best perspective on everything you will see around you. 

https://www.sail-nyc.com/browse-by-theme/architecture/

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2017 at 7:59 PM, clifford_thornton said:

This exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum looks cool -- hope to get over there soon:

https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/we_wanted_a_revolution

and a +1 for the NYC Jazz Record, which has been keeping my words in print for some reason or another for quite a few years now...

Thanks! Unfortunately didn't go to Brooklyn this time, we stayed only one night and that was in Queens, Elmhurst to be precise, and loved the neigbourhood especially the great food.

As for NYC Jazz Record, your series of interviews there has been great. I still read it even from here in France, even though going through the actual paper in parks or the subway was nice!

We went to the movies on the first day of the Vision festival, the 5:30 schedule with documentaries on Cooper-Moore and longer one on Charles Gayle and the Sound Unity Festival. Less people there than I would have expected but we were in good company, Henry Grimes came to the screening!

Another highlight from the rest of the trip was the fantastic top floor of the Washington National Art Gallery: the Rothko and Barnett Newman rooms. Great works in abundance that are not very common to see in Europe.

Thank you all for the advice, I am keeping the references for further visits.

Edited by OliverM