Fav Lee Morgan Mosaic Set

Choose one pleaze  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love both the Blakey set and the Lee 50s set, especially some of his work with Benny Golson. Reggie from Chester is a classic for me. The book from the 50s set is also phenomenal. In talking about these sets, it's like saying one is best and one is bestest.

I vote for the Moran as well. The Morgan set has the variety of different settings. My favs are the set with Pepper Adams and Philly Joe as well as Candy. Also there is the variety of drummers lending different flavors. Curiously is the bringing in of Golson and Gryce on the earliest sessions. While Lee Morgan brought in Golson (or vice versa) it also shows the respect Alfred Lion gave to Golson and Gryce to lend some sheen to the teenager's product. Of course there is Lee being up to the job with these charts. Also you got Timmons in early Blue Note form.

The Blakey set is of course strong. What can you say with that dream lineup. To have that amount of session work in so short of time with the troika of writers was fantastic and rarely equaled.

I chose the Blakey. Not a no-brainer at all, though. On some of the very early Morgan I sometimes think that his "fire" outweighed his variety w/r/t phrasing, ideas, etc.. This isn't to say that he's not my favorite trumpet player from that era. He ruled. :)