Pony Poindexter / Frank Rosolino / Fritz Pauer / Art Farmer "The Exciting Jazz Of The Early 70`s" (previously unreleased live recordings)

soulpope

Released as of May 19th, 2017 by Enja Records this 4 CD Box assembles four live performances (three from the legendary "Domicile" club in Muniich Germany, the remainder from Luitpoldhalle Rosenheim Germany) - more details here (for full details best click on the corresponding CD picture) :

https://www.discogs.com/de/Pony-Poindexter-Frank-Rosolino-Fritz-Pauer-Art-Farmer-The-Exciting-Jazz-Of-The-Early-70ies/release/10312566

123a53226c.jpg

This looks definitely very tasty to me ....

There were corresponding releases with different material by Poindexter and Pauer on MPS or its sub-label, Session - the music on these is very good.

R-9586254-1483197494-8231.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Pony-Poindexter-The-Happy-Life-Of-Pony/master/1112082

R-3192261-1319875807.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Fritz-Pauer-Jimmy-Woode-Erich-Bachträgl-Power-By-Pauer-Live-At-The-Domicile/release/3192261

There were corresponding releases with different material by Poindexter and Pauer on MPS or its sub-label, Session - the music on these is very good.

Edited by mikeweil

On 5/21/2017 at 3:45 AM, soulpope said:

Released as of May 19th, 2017 by Enja Records this 4 CD Box assembles four live performances (three from the legendary "Domicile" club in Muniich Germany, the remainder from Luitpoldhalle Rosenheim Germany) - more details here (for full details best click on the corresponding CD picture) :

https://www.discogs.com/de/Pony-Poindexter-Frank-Rosolino-Fritz-Pauer-Art-Farmer-The-Exciting-Jazz-Of-The-Early-70ies/release/10312566

123a53226c.jpg

This looks definitely very tasty to me ....

The Candoli/Rosolino sides appear to be new, not duplicates of the material issued on the 2-cd "Conversation" album on Gambit, so I'm definitely interested!

gregmo

Edited by gmonahan
duplicated

Fritz Pauer was fantastic, he was a master. I was blessed I heard him so much with all those great musicians.

And he was such I great person to meet. I was still almost a kid, I think I was 18 when he let me sit in, that was a great honour for me.......

Fritz Pauer was fantastic, he was a master. I was blessed I heard him so much with all those great musicians.

And he was such I great person to meet. I was still almost a kid, I think I was 18 when he let me sit in, that was a great honour for me.......

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2017 at 11:37 AM, mikeweil said:

R-9586254-1483197494-8231.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Pony-Poindexter-The-Happy-Life-Of-Pony/master/1112082

R-3192261-1319875807.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Fritz-Pauer-Jimmy-Woode-Erich-Bachträgl-Power-By-Pauer-Live-At-The-Domicile/release/3192261

Got the box set from Da Bastards and just listening to the Pony set has me groovin right along. Definitely on the trail of the Pony LP so thanks to Mike Weil for mentioning it (and I should point out that the Pony set included in the box set has a fine Benny Bailey in the front line - not on the MPS LP I don't think).

Edited by Dan Gould

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Got the box set from Da Bastards and just listening to the Pony set has me groovin right along. Definitely on the trail of the Pony LP so thanks to Mike Weil for mentioning it (and I should point out that the Pony set included in the box set has a fine Benny Bailey in the front line - not on the MPS LP I don't think).

(IMO) outstanding previously unreleased recordings with not a single weak track .... the Art Farmer 4tet performance probably being the icing on the cake ....

Edited by soulpope

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

What puzzles me is that I cannot find this box set on ENJA's website or at German jazz mailorder shops ...

p.s. Found it - they just didn't index it under the musicians' names .... :huh:

Bought the Box via JPC Mailorder ....

Edited by soulpope

23 hours ago, soulpope said:

(IMO) outstanding previously unreleased recordings with not a single weak track .... the Art Farmer 4tet performance probably being the icing on the cake ....

Mileage and all that, but the Candoli/Rosolino lost its charm on the scat tune at the end.  Rest of it was awfully good though.

23 hours ago, soulpope said:

Mileage and all that, but the Candoli/Rosolino lost its charm on the scat tune at the end.  Rest of it was awfully good though.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, Gheorghe said:

I saw Art Farmer live many times in Boston.  He almost always played at least one composition by Fritz Pauer. At times he played several over the course of the night.

If you enjoy electric piano with a lot of 70s sounding effects, you'll enjoy all of the Pauer disc.

For me those tracks made me want to :bad:.  Won't be listening to those again but his acoustic piano tracks are all very nice.

Edited by Dan Gould

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If you enjoy electric piano with a lot of 70s sounding effects, you'll enjoy all of the Pauer disc.

For me those tracks made me want to :bad:.  Won't be listening to those again but his acoustic piano tracks are all very nice.

different strokes etc but I too used to loath electric piano but now in the right context I really like it. The varitone saxophone used by Konitz and others is another thing, i don't think I'll ever get to like it.....

Edited by Clunky

On ‎03‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 4:33 PM, jazztrain said:

I saw Art Farmer live many times in Boston.  He almost always played at least one composition by Fritz Pauer. At times he played several over the course of the night.

One composition of Fritz Pauer that  Art Farmer used to play was "Cherokee Sketches". Of course it´s based on Cherokee and played at an ultra fast tempo.

IMHO Art Farmer was more comfortable at medium tempos.

Fritz Pauer loved Monk and some of his tunes are based on Monkish style elements, like one tune I witnessed the first playing in public was "Spelunke" dedicated to a former jazz club in my hometown, which was great cause it was mostly musicians playin for musicians. Chet Baker performed there once with Karl Ratzer. I was a regular and used to play there when I was almost a kid. By the way it was the club where Fritz Pauer let me sit in. All this happened 40 years ago. It was just a great time, that special block near Vienna Food Market had jazz in the air. You could meet fellow dudes on street and check out a gig. "hey there, need a bass player next week, can you make it...." that´s how it was.....

On ‎03‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 4:33 PM, jazztrain said:

One composition of Fritz Pauer that  Art Farmer used to play was "Cherokee Sketches". Of course it´s based on Cherokee and played at an ultra fast tempo.

IMHO Art Farmer was more comfortable at medium tempos.

Fritz Pauer loved Monk and some of his tunes are based on Monkish style elements, like one tune I witnessed the first playing in public was "Spelunke" dedicated to a former jazz club in my hometown, which was great cause it was mostly musicians playin for musicians. Chet Baker performed there once with Karl Ratzer. I was a regular and used to play there when I was almost a kid. By the way it was the club where Fritz Pauer let me sit in. All this happened 40 years ago. It was just a great time, that special block near Vienna Food Market had jazz in the air. You could meet fellow dudes on street and check out a gig. "hey there, need a bass player next week, can you make it...." that´s how it was.....