Maxwell "Lockjaw" Davis?

JSngry

Maxwell Davis was ubiquitous on the L.A. West coast scene in the 1940's and 1950's.  He produced and/or played on hit (and great) records by Amos Milburn, Peppermint Harris, T-Bone Walker, Pee Wee Crayton, Etta James, B.B. King, Little Willie Littlefield, Lowell Fulson, Z.Z. Hill, and others. He even played on Charles Mingus' first record.

"Maxwell Davis is an unsung hero of early rhythm and blues," noted the songwriter and producer Mike Stoller. "He produced, in effect, all of the record sessions for Aladdin records, Modern records, all the local independent rhythm and blues companies in the early 1950s, late 1940s in Los Angeles."

I've known of/heard him for a long time, yes, a true hero, What gets me here is how he almost gets into Lockjaw's bag on that one solo, very very close in a few spots, they jump out.. Where did that come from, then? Nothing I've heard of him before, ever, goes there.