Time reissues on Solid Japan

romualdo

Sorry all but I've just accidentally deleted this topic, thinking I was just deleting one post that I had just created. Is there anyway it can be retrieved?

Anyway, CD Japan has just listed the track details for this series

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/release/music/jazz-fusion/month/?page=2

looks like all the alternates Erbwol listed have been added to the respective releases

Dorham Jazz Contemporary (12), Roach (13), Clark (14), Paris (21)

My apologies again for the deletion - hopefully (with the help of some board members) I'll be able to sort this out

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Sorry, no way to restore deleted threads these days.

However, take comfort in the fact that you have jumped to the front of the line of candidates for new moderators should an opening arise.

first moderator from Australia!!:D

Edited by romualdo

Copy paste the following in the Google search bar for the deleted thread: cache:http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/80702-timesolid-japanese-reissues-may-2017/

My previous post on the Time SHM-CDs:

A selection of 10 albums from the Time catalogue was reissued on SHM-CD in 2008 by Victor Japan. These discs were remastered by Bernie Grundman (there's a photo of Grundman on the OBI and in the booklet).

I have the Sonny Clark Trio and it contains 14 tracks, one more previously unreleased track than the Hoffman mastered SACD, namely an extra alternate take of Nica. Sound is also best on the Grundman.

The albums with bonus tracks are highlighted in red. I don't know how many more of these were previously unreleased at the time.

• VICJ-61541 Booker Little - Booker Little 
  • VICJ-61542 Sonny Clark Trio - Sonny Clark Trio (14 tracks total)
  • VICJ-61543 Max Roach - Award-Winning Drummer (11 tracks total)
  • VICJ-61544 Terry Gibbs with Alice Coltrane - My Way
  • VICJ-61545 Kenny Dorham - Jazz Contemporary (11 tracks total)
  • VICJ-61546 Kenny Dorham - Showboat
  • VICJ-61547 Bennie Green - Bennie Green
  • VICJ-61548 Stanley Turrentine - Stan "The Man" Turrentine
  • VICJ-61549 Tommy Turrentine - Tommy Turrentine
  • VICJ-61550 Jackie Paris - Jackie Paris Sings The Lyrics Of Ira Gershwin (21 tracks total)

And:

I think Solid's Bethlehem discs were loud, borderline tolerable.

However, their later Timeless reissues were not (significantly) louder than the original Dutch CDs, but no sonic upgrades either. Just equally good given the quality of the recordings. (I was able to download the Adams/Pullen discs in FLAC and compare them to the original CDs in my collection.)

Edited by erwbol

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

Sorry, no way to restore deleted threads these days.

However, take comfort in the fact that you have jumped to the front of the line of candidates for new moderators should an opening arise.

So you mods consider Romualdo's little accident an impromptu competency test? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few of these and have listened most closely so far to the Booker Little. This is a very interesting recording to begin with and I think the new mastering presents it perhaps best of the other version I've heard. A bit loud, yes, but a very clear and nuanced mastered sound.

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

@king ubuI ordered the Booker Little recently from CD Japan and earlier this week received notice it would take three to four weeks for them to fulfil the order. In the past such delays often ultimately lead to cancellation, so I preemptively cancelled the order myself.

Interesting. At the moment on cdjapan it says 3 to 7 days for the new reissue, and 2 to 4 weeks for the SHM-CD from 2008.  . .

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Interesting. At the moment on cdjapan it says 3 to 7 days for the new reissue, and 2 to 4 weeks for the SHM-CD from 2008.  . .

It said 3 to 7 days when I placed my order. This seems to be their latest standard indication for items from indie labels that are not in stock (at their supplier). The SHM-CD is OOP everywhere, so I believe an order would lead to cancelation and the status on the item's page being changed from 2 to 4 weeks to Sold Out

I placed an order for a second hand copy of the SHM-CD, although the Solid CDs are still available on eBay and elsewhere and might still be available through CD Japan.

CD Banq from Taiwan usually offers these Solid reissues on their website, but the Time series is not available and I can't say if it ever was. They are a reliable company and shipping from Taiwan is cheap. Usually they are able to fulfil orders even after CD Japan can't any longer.

Edited by erwbol

Yes, I have the Clark and Turrentine releases on SACD and other cds and really enjoy them so I feel I'm good for this catalog. I have a few others too but they're not essential. 

The Solids are a little loud but with my system, even with headphones, they aren't problematic. Interested to see what label Solid turns to next.