Happy 80th Birthday Archie Shepp

Cyril

I saw him live on several occasions from the late 70´s on.

I´ll never forget how deeply impressed I was from the first time I saw him, it was at a strange place, a quite uggly hall called "Kongresshaus" which doesn´t exist anymore, I think there´s a food market now.

That was the time when he had that fantastic quartet with Siegfried Kessler on piano, Bob Cunningham on bass and Clifford Jarvis on drums. They really cooked.

The next time I think it was with Ken Werner, Santi Debriano and John Betsch.

Also saw him in Trio Format without piano, but Mr. Shepp played a trio piece on piano too, I think it was a Monk Tune "Ask Me Now" and it sounded so much like Monk.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw him live on several occasions from the late 70´s on.

I´ll never forget how deeply impressed I was from the first time I saw him, it was at a strange place, a quite uggly hall called "Kongresshaus" which doesn´t exist anymore, I think there´s a food market now.

That was the time when he had that fantastic quartet with Siegfried Kessler on piano, Bob Cunningham on bass and Clifford Jarvis on drums. They really cooked.

The next time I think it was with Ken Werner, Santi Debriano and John Betsch.

Also saw him in Trio Format without piano, but Mr. Shepp played a trio piece on piano too, I think it was a Monk Tune "Ask Me Now" and it sounded so much like Monk.

Shepp on piano was quite a revelation ....