Mozart Symphonies Box Set

B. Goren.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Don't know the Pinnock, but why the heck would anyone want Hogwood? I'd go for Karl Bohm (and at about $3.50/disc):

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Symphonies-Wolfgang-Amadeus/dp/B000G7599Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1495826482&sr=1-1&keywords=mozart+symphonies++bohm

51p8gqrZnjL._AC_US218_.jpg

Probably of surprise (to you), but I would see both Hogwood and Kark Böhm as viable options ....

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Why not Hogwood? Found him more charming than Pinnock, and more complete.

411YHYF4DML.jpg

Isn't this "completeness" a function of the inclusion of spuriously-attributed works?

As an aside, I'm not really sure anybody genuinely *needs* a "complete Mozart symphonies" cycle.  You certainly need the final 6 symphonies (35-41), should probably hear the 4 previous ones (31-34), and there are some genuine gems among the Salzburg symphonies (#29 is a personal favorite).  Everything with an Kochel catalogue number below 100 is skippable.

Edited by Guy Berger

AFAIK the Hogwood recording was prepared with thorough musicological assistance and if there were any doubts about attribution it was mentioned in the elaborate commentary.

I'm not a fan of that "do you need this or that work" attitude. The early works give insight into his development as a young composer and show how deeply he was rooted in the music of his tiime and not born a genius. But each to his own.

13 hours ago, mikeweil said:

AFAIK the Hogwood recording was prepared with thorough musicological assistance and if there were any doubts about attribution it was mentioned in the elaborate commentary.

These insightful recordings are revelations .... and definitely worth exploring ....

When it comes to some of the late symphonies, I prefer Britten (snap up the set depicted below if you can) and Klemperer, but Bohm works for me overall and isn't far behind in any. I'm not an anti HIP person per se but have yet to hear any symphonic HIP Mozart that wasn't caught up in getting the instrumental timbres right (or "right" and/or 'authentic") to the neglect of other no less, or more, important musical matters. Also, when when we get to Mozart I'm no longer sure that, with some exceptions (e.g. the basset clarinet in the clarinet concerto, natural horn in the horn concerti perhaps), timbral authenticity is as big a deal as it arguably is in, say, Vivaldi.

51U4y08AFML._SX425_.jpg

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

..... but have yet to hear any symphonic HIP Mozart that wasn't caught up in getting the instrumental timbres right (or "right" and/or 'authentic") to the neglect of other no less, or more, important musical matters. Also, when when we get to Mozart I'm no longer sure that, with some exceptions (e.g. the basset clarinet in the clarinet concerto, natural horn in the horn concerti perhaps), timbral authenticity is as big a deal as it arguably is in, say, Vivaldi.

I know what you want to say. I think that was a necessary phase HIP had to go through. The fact that younger conductors prefer a leaner sound and brighter tempos shows that it pointed in the right direction. To me timbre is just as important as all other parameters. and, of course, a great reading should get it all right, taste not withstanding.