Greg Allman - RIP

Chuck Nessa

Holy shit.  This new saddens me greatly.  I was a huge fan of the Allman Brothers Band and of Gregg Allman in particular.  I had read that he was not going to do any concerts this year and just last night, I went to his website to see if that status had changed. 

I loved his vocals and his work away from the Allman Brothers as well.  Really like what his organ playing added to the music.  So much great music and songs are associated with him.  I particularly like the "All My Friends" CD/video.  I can remember back when he was hanging out with Cher, he had spent some time in the Buffalo NY area - making an appearance at an outdoor concert at the football stadium with the J Geils Band and later did a concert at a small club called the Tralf.  Phenomenal show.  He really impressed me with his organ playing that night.  I really enjoyed the comeback the band made after Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks were both regulars with the band.  I know I'm jumping all over the place but hey - Gregg Allman just died.

To me, the Allman Brothers Band was one of the great American bands.  I am glad to have seen them many times and am sad that I'll never be able to hear him live again

RIP

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I never really got bit by the Allman bug, but there were enough moments along the way that I never quibble with those who did.

RIP, and on an unrelated note, Bird & Diz were born, but I believe that if they weren't, Dick Clark would have bought Gene Krupa lunch and put it on Louis Armstrong's tab.

I once worked in a retail pharmacy.  I had a boss who was into stuff like Clapton and the Allman Brothers.  I could occaionally sneak in some jazz (Russell Malone, Oscar Peterson and Enrico Rava(!)) and blues (Howlin' Wolf, Carey Bell, Hubert Sumlin and Sonny Landreth).  We tended to play a ton of Clapton, Allman Brothers and some of Gregg's solo work.  Having grown up listening to and playing various forms of rock but having started getting more into improvisational music, Gregg Allman made what could often be a tedious job more tolerable.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Allman, and rest in peace.

This very sad, but not unexpected news is enough to bring me out of my near-silence here. I'll just say something about Gregg Allman's songwriting. "It's Not My Cross to Bear" is one of the greatest blues ballads ever, And it was written, I think, when Allman was only 20.

And if "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" is not strictly a blues, it certainly has the blues spirit, and I've always thought that the lyrics were the equal of many classic blues lyrics.

"Tell me 'bout the car I saw parked outside your door;
Tell me what you left me waiting two or three hours for.
Tell me why when the phone rings, baby, you're up and 'cross the floor.
Please don't keep me wonderin' no longer."

Huge fan of the golden eras of the band (Duane Allman era and Warren Haynes eras, with both Dickey Betts and Derek Trucks).  'Live at the Fillmore East' fried my 16-year old brain like nothing else.  Some beautiful music along the way, such as "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed".  RIP.

• 1 year later...

Coming up on the second anniversary of Gregg's passing.  I've been listening to the ABB  earlier today and now have the DVD of All My Friends playing.  If you're a fan, give some Gregg Allman or ABB a spin this weekend.

Enjoy