Jazz record label names

BillF

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Honestly, I did not know at all. That's why I was asking. And I would not have seen anything wrong with it. I just did not instantly  think of "mosaics patterns" either because the script logo did not remind me of anything like that at all.

Well, the co-founder of Blue Note Records did write "The Protocols of the Elders of Lion." :)

19 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

.... a play on words was intended ...

Of course, Larry - I thought this was evident. ;) It was the case with all three label names, I'm certain - and most label names mentioned here point in this direction. 

One that is special to me is the Fresh Sound sublabel Tumbao - because about a year before the first releases I thought there should be a label with exactly that name to reissue all the Cuban Classics - and that's what they did! Great minds thinking alike, I guess :P

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Of course, Larry - I thought this was evident. ;) It was the case with all three label names, I'm certain - and most label names mentioned here point in this direction. 

One that is special to me is the Fresh Sound sublabel Tumbao - because about a year before the first releases I thought there should be a label with exactly that name to reissue all the Cuban Classics - and that's what they did! Great minds thinking alike, I guess :P

All I'm saying is that until I hear or read testimony from Cuscuna to the contrary, I'll think that the label's name was not primarily a tribute to that Blakey album but rather a reference to the goal of assembling a mosaic of recorded jazz. BTW, I should mention that my shrink tells me that one of my most annoying flaws as human being is the need to have the last word. :)

Well,I think it is too obvious that all three are nice word plays or associative names and the titles of legendary Blue Note LPs. I had that thought immediately after Somethin' Else and True Blue were launched. A nice association, in any case.