Pop Vocalists, Standards Singers

Does anyone know of a book that covers Pop Vocalists and singers of standards from the 30, 40s and 50s? Something like the Mojo Collection for Pop/Rock that focuses on the most important recordings or otherwise a full encyclopedic collection of singers with discographies? I used to have those MusicHound guides years ago but looked at one again and couldn't believe how thin and superficial the information was. Ideally, if it were compiled by some kind of reputable journalist or group of them, that would be great.

Yes, I do realise I'm probably asking for something nobody has probably ever cared to print.

Edited by tinpanalley

What Sangrey said.  Friedwald's book is the most incisive and knowledgeable single tome about significant U.S. singers.  With his sincere love and understanding of vocal traditions, you'll get sharp observations and analysis of what each singer brings or brought.  No longer will you endure the standard artist bios riddled with clichés and hasty, sophomoric wrap-ups.  If you want to go deep on any singer, Friedwald can bring it.

Caveat: the book does not intend to serve as a complete encyclopedia or full catalog of LP and CD releases.  As it stands, the 'Biographical Guide' takes-up 801 pages with no photos, index, or appendices.  Friedwald asks the reader to 'suit up' and get serious, like him.       

Not to lay the 'jingo' vibe on Friedman, having posted (above) the book was about "significant U.S. singers".  The book indeed has individual artist entries on Al Bowlly, Noel Coward, Marlene Dietrich, and Matt Monro (but no info on Monica Zetterlund or Rita Reys).  Also, there's probably a few Canadian-born singers I didn't mention.  

Ok, thanks folks. That book had caught my eye on Amazon but you know, asking a community in the know is always better. It's how I found Brian Rust. I'm impressed that it mentions people like Bowlly (a personal favourite).
So, on the discography front? Something like the Penguin Guide for Jazz but for Singers? Does that exist?