Mary Halvorson

erwbol

Has anybody had the chance to see Mary Halvorson's new project Mary Halvorson's Code Girl live yet? There are only two short 1 minute clips available on YouTube. There must be a new CD coming soon.

Mary Halvorson's Code Girl: Mary Halvorson (guitar), Amirtha Kidambi (voice), Ambrose Akinmusire (trumpet), Michael Formanek (bass), Tomas Fujiwara (drums)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

So, what, is she transmitting solar secrets to Nazis like Webern did during the Vietnam War, I don't trust codes, like that Codey guy who played for the Giants, came out of nowhere and messed up my rangers.#bobbuhlface

Or more positively:

dd5eee1c63.jpg

dd5efb35e2.jpg

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

haven't heard Settles' music in quite some time...

I have had the pleasure of hearing Settles on several occasions as a Wiseman, including one very nice evening in DC seated about ten feet from the stage with Mr. Bertrand. Count me as a fan.

15 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Dwight was the staff person at Penny Lane music store in Kansas City the day that I moved to town in 1982 and bought Lester Bowie--All the Magic and Jack DeJohnette--Inflation Blues. He wanted to know how I knew about this kind of music.

13 hours ago, romualdo said:

September 13 to 24

Of course you probably figured out that Mary is playing on 9/1 with a group at The Stone and then for 2 nights on 9/29 & 9/30 at The Stone at The New School 55 West 13th Street.

Not sure who and what you might plan to be seeing/hearing as far as music goes but a show that stands out (most shows/clubs not yet listed for September) is a Mark Dresser led band on Friday the 15th at The Store which is a quartet with Jane Ira Bloom, Denman Maroney & Michael Sarin joining the great bassist.

my very tentative plans was/is to see the 7 piece Dresser led band on Tuesday 9/12 (also at The Stone) which includes Marty Ehrlich, Nicole Mitchell & Jim Black.

what I'm still aggravated about is that there is now only 1 set/night (8:30) rather than the traditional 2 sets @ 8:00 & 10:00. Sure there was 2 charges but I have no problem with that but with only 1 set/night, I haven't been to The Stone all year. However there are numerous very strong bands/groups/musicians coming up this year that I will make the trek a few times even for 1 set.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 5/31/2017 at 0:24 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Of course you probably figured out that Mary is playing on 9/1 with a group at The Stone and then for 2 nights on 9/29 & 9/30 at The Stone at The New School 55 West 13th Street.

Not sure who and what you might plan to be seeing/hearing as far as music goes but a show that stands out (most shows/clubs not yet listed for September) is a Mark Dresser led band on Friday the 15th at The Store which is a quartet with Jane Ira Bloom, Denman Maroney & Michael Sarin joining the great bassist.

my very tentative plans was/is to see the 7 piece Dresser led band on Tuesday 9/12 (also at The Stone) which includes Marty Ehrlich, Nicole Mitchell & Jim Black.

what I'm still aggravated about is that there is now only 1 set/night (8:30) rather than the traditional 2 sets @ 8:00 & 10:00. Sure there was 2 charges but I have no problem with that but with only 1 set/night, I haven't been to The Stone all year. However there are numerous very strong bands/groups/musicians coming up this year that I will make the trek a few times even for 1 set.

Yep, I had realised that my stay in NYC will not coincide with Mary's dates - real bummer missing her by such a small window. I definitely have the Stone on my itinerary - will see someone there. Going to try as many as possible jazz venues but my preference is more avant if possible.

• 1 year later...

"Code Girl" is excellent.  Mary is continuing to develop her sound.  Ambrose Akinmusire shines all the way through.  I'm not usually into vocals on "progressive jazz" recordings, but the art-song vocals here are pretty good -- much better than those on Mary's CD with Jessica Pavone.

As far as I can tell, "Code Girl" is the name of the double CD, not of the band.

Edited by Utevsky

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I would love to here an instrumental version of Code Girl. The vocals are like nails on a blackboard to me. I had to bail less than two songs in. 

Similar here. I've gone back a couple of times and got a bit further each time but it's the only MH album I've not instantly taken a shine too. I'm a fan of Akinmusire too so was looking forward to hearing them together - I'm not giving up though...